Thread: Would it be possible to defer a SMC JSV?

Default Would it be possible to defer a SMC JSV?

My partner and I applied for resident visas under the Skilled Migrant Category, with me being the main applicant. The results came out recently and I was invited instead to apply for a SMC Job Search (or "deferred residence") visa. (Not the residence visas we hoped for, but still better than being flat out declined.)

As you know, a JSV would require me to travel to NZ in a short couple of months. I was just wondering if it would be possible to ask my CO if I can defer my entry to NZ for around one year? To explain, I had quit my previous job in order to focus all my energy on our SMC application, which we started last year. We were expecting for the application results to come out a bit later than this, so the past few months I had been doing job hunting locally as well as internationally, and so currently I have a couple of offers. I was planning to accept one and work for around a year while waiting for our visa application results so that I could re-gain work experience (I have been jobless for more than a year now), and add a bit more to my savings for NZ as well. (We have sufficient funds, but every little bit helps.)

It's a long shot, but a friend suggested we ask our CO if deferment of JSV is possible, given the circumstances. (NZ employers might be hesitant to hire me if they see that I have not been working in more than a year.) I'm a bit hesitant to ask our CO though because our she might take it negatively. What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance!

No, there is no chance to defer the SMC JSV. If you don't take it up within the time limit given, it will lapse. You would have to start a completely new SMC application all over again.

Thanks for the quick reply, JandM! Yeah that sounds reasonable. I don't think I ever want to go through the SMC application all over again so I guess see you in a few months, NZ!