Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staying in holiday accommodation when you first arrive

Default Staying in holiday accommodation when you first arrive

Do most people stay in holiday accommodation when they first arrive in NZ?

I would think it was risky to sign up for a 6 month rental property without viewing it first, but some of the holiday rentals we've looked at online are really expensive! They are furnished though and because they are holiday rentals, they look very well maintained and have things like Wifi and Sky TV already set up.

Also, if you were staying in one for 3 months, would they expect all the money upfront?

Has anyone done this?

In many cases, if you talk to the owner/agent and explain that you are interested in a longer rental while you look around, you can negotiate a much cheaper rate than the advertised 'by the week' charge. NZ is a society where haggling is the norm, so don't be embarrassed to ask, 'Is that the best you can do?' and push a bit - nobody will hold that against you. (That goes for buying things in shops, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    NZ is a society where haggling is the norm, so don't be embarrassed to ask, 'Is that the best you can do?' and push a bit - nobody will hold that against you. (That goes for buying things in shops, too.)
    . I never find haggling to be a successful strategy in New World or even Countdown.

We looked at holiday accommodation and were offered much better rates for long term occupation. We ended up staying in a serviced apartment (Waldorf Grafton) because it was in a better location to access work etc.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by girlwithanewf View Post
    . I never find haggling to be a successful strategy in New World or even Countdown.
    Er, no, not in supermarkets!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Er, no, not in supermarkets!
    I don't actually think it is a society where haggling is the 'norm' hence the tongue in cheek remark about supermarkets. You can't really go into shops and ask for a better price as you might be able to do in other parts of the world perhaps. Yes, cars, fridges etc may be discounted as has been discussed at length before but supermarkets, clothes shops, etc - no.

I would definitely ask if it is possible to stay in a holiday house, bach etc for longer and if that succeeded would ask for a reduction, but then I would do that in the UK too. It depends what time of the year it is and where it is, in the winter you might have a better chance.

Thanks guys! I know they do discounted rates the longer you stay, but just wondered if you had to pay up front for the entire stay, like you would if you were going on holiday.

Depending on where you'll be settling, there are chains of hotels that are in reality apartments. Waldorf and Quest. They might well offer weekly rates that are no listed on their sites; if you find one that looks appealing, email them and as for weekly rates. I stayed in the Waldorf St Martin for 3 weeks when I arrived a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by KerryL View Post
    Thanks guys! I know they do discounted rates the longer you stay, but just wondered if you had to pay up front for the entire stay, like you would if you were going on holiday.
    Sorry missed that bit. No I don't think they will ask for it all up front, probably weekly.

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by KerryL View Post
    Do most people stay in holiday accommodation when they first arrive in NZ?

I would think it was risky to sign up for a 6 month rental property without viewing it first, but some of the holiday rentals we've looked at online are really expensive! They are furnished though and because they are holiday rentals, they look very well maintained and have things like Wifi and Sky TV already set up.

Also, if you were staying in one for 3 months, would they expect all the money upfront?

Has anyone done this?
    So, how has it gone? I am planning a trip to NZ and searching for accomodation for 1 month...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast