Thread: Greymouth

Question Greymouth

I've seen a job advertised in Greymouth and to be honest, I've never heard of it! I've had a bit of a read and it seems to be a very small town (population 13000).

Does anyone live there or know anyone who lives there? Any opinions on nightlife, things to do etc?

Obviously I know it isn't Wellington or Auckland but just how quiet is it?

Thanks!

Nightlife in Greymouth? There is always gum boot throwing on a Thursday night and late night white baiting. Seriously, Greymouth makes Johnsonville look exciting. It is a pretty, if rather wet, part of the world though.

There's quite a bit of outdoor things to do, if you're in to that.

Depends what you like to do - often visit the area on holiday. Can't comment on the nightlife, but often find the inhabitants of the campsite down on the beach with glass in hand watching the sun set. However the area is fantastic for walking, tramping, kayaking, biking...big shows, theatres Etc, are not there. It has a local hospital, leisure centre ( swimming pool, hot tub, sauna Etc.) in the area are various caving and rafting options.

It rains p...typical on the west coast, but is stunning in the sun, although sandflies, the NZ version of the Scottish midge, are found in abundance,

We love the west coast, must greener than the east, due to the rain fall, stunning views...but it really depends upon what is important in your lifestyle.

Thanks everyone for your advice! I've decided not to apply as I have read that it is like a UK village where everyone knows each other's business, so definitely not our cup of tea!