Thread: Don't know where to start for visa

Default Don't know where to start for visa

Hi
    I have been reading some of the posts, trying to figure out where to start on imagrating to NZ. I am looking to move me and my family to New Zealand to be closer to inlaws in Indonesia. I am a US certified medical radiation technologist and am looking to stay in the field in New Zealand. I know I have to be registered with the board overseeing my field and know what I need to do to do that. Since I only have an Associates degree, once approved, I will need to do a 3 month internship before I am registered, with the condition I pass my test after 3 months. So here are my questions:
    1) what kind of visa should I be getting and how long does it normally take? I believe my field is on the long term shortage list or one of the shortage lists anyways.
    2) Is there anyone in my field that has had to do the internship and how did they go about it and how did it go?
    I am a little bit overwelmed by all of this right now. My family and I are visiting Aukland in June to kind of get a feel for everything.
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a good hotel, perferable close to downtown, and that is reasonable priced? Also what sights should we se or things to do to get a good feel for New Zealand?
    Thank you for any help you can offer.
    Jbkirkpat

Don't just treat it as a holiday. Make sure you go into supermarkets etc and get a feel for how you would love your everyday life in NZ.

I am sure you are aware of this but it's still a long way from Indonesia. The flight from Auckland to Jakarta via Singapore is about 12.5 hours if I remember correctly.

Thank you for your response. Yes I know it is still a long ways from Indonesia but it is a heck of a lot closer than being inthe US. There are other reasons for moving but that was the main one.

Yes its about 12 hours to Denpasar on Bali but the big advantage I think is that you have low cost airlines from NZ and AUS ( Jetstar ) that fly to Indonesia so its quite cheap ( I paid about 400 NZD one way from Auckland )because its sort of the main tourist hub for Aussie and Kiwi travelers in Asia.
    It actually takes the same amount of time to fly from Europe to Indonesia but its twice the price usually so I think you are set up quite nicely in NZ if you want to fly up there more often. Don't forget about all the other beautiful islands though like Fiji and Samoa which are only a few hours away

In terms of visas there are a few to choose from and it totally depends on how long you want to stay and what qualifications you have . There is a nice tool on INZs website where you can enter your details and the it will tell you which category you most likely fit into. After that if you have any questions or need clarification just come back and use the search function on the top right corner of the forum website to find information on a particular visa or the application process in general.

Visa Options Check
    https://visaoptions.immigration.govt...e/Landing.aspx

Spare a thought for the poor old New Zealander. You want to immigrate to their country, enjoy what the country as to offer, become a permanent resident, which enables you to vote in parliamentary elections; you are asking NZ to let you become a part of their society -- and why? To be somewhat closer to your in-laws in Indonesia! It certainly is a reason to move, but in my view a very poor one as far as you future host country is concerned. How about Singapore or Australia?

Yes I agree it should only be a small reason to move half way around the world . First and foremost you should look at what life is like in New Zealand and if it fits you and your family . If you really want to be closer to them maybe look into Western Australia or Sigapore like chapwithatui said altough maybe a little overdramatized if he indeed has skills that are on a skill shortage list New Zealanders should be happy to have someone that will fill these gaps whatever the reason is for the immigration .

and to NZ's benefit we gain a highly skilled MRT , who are in demand in NZ!!