Thread: cycling in Wellington city compare Kapiti Coast and Upper/Lower Hutt.

Default cycling in Wellington city compare Kapiti Coast and Upper/Lower Hutt.

Hi everyone, I'm a new poster though have read lots of information on the site and found it helpful. I'm a NZer wanting to return to NZ to live with my husband and daughter. We are focussing on Wellington area but flexible about which part at the moment. I have lots of questions but my first one is somewhat minor to do with daily life.

I grew up in Auckland and honestly only went to Wellington as a child but that is where we are wanting to go and live so...of the major regions, which area is more friendly to walk and bike around. I'm talking about easily taking a child on a bike, reasonably flat (I'm guessing this counts out the whole of the city area though is Johnsonville area flatish?) easy to walk around for someone with a bodgy ankle (me!).

I'm not talking about cycling for fitness, just getting from A to B such as home to the swimming pool or the shops or school.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Hi chillimacadamia,

Welcome to the forum! Upper Hutt/Lower Hutt are both predominantly flat (unless you choose to live on the hills) whilst the Kapiti Coast towns are almost totally flat! Both Porirua and Wellington’s CBDs are mainly flat. Lyall Bay/Kilbirnie/Oriental Bay/Miramar (most of it) are flat, as is the ride from Island Bay into Wellington. The rest of Wellington and Porirua are hilly, to varying degrees.

Johnsonville’s suburban shopping area is pretty flat, but the rest of the suburb is hilly (some steep roads!). Riding/walking into Wellington would be a nightmare since the Ngauranga Gorge is very steep (although many people do ride up it, crazy!)

I would say Upper Hutt and Lower Hutt are probably the most bike-friendly. Both have a beautiful biking trail along the Hutt River that traverses the length of both cities. There are many flat, straight streets in both cities. The Kapiti Coast is flat too, although it is a long commute from Wellington. Everything depends on where exactly you live and where exactly you are walking/biking to/from. If you need any more information, feel free to ask. We’re happy to help

Thanks,
    Ansistent

Hi thanks for that. I think cycling would really be in my local area. If I were to go from home to Wellington I would probably go on a train/bus/car. I'll check out the gorge you mention and the other areas. At this stage we are free to look at any area to live so I'm doing a lot of researching. I might relook at the Upper Hutt as house prices are a bit better there. Thanks and I'll probably be posting again soon.