Thread: SMC application - problems with registration SWRB and options - pls comment!

Default SMC application - problems with registration SWRB and options - pls comment!

Dear All, I was amazed to see all the good advice going to the "Residence Application from JSV: Request for Comment" thread. I thought I'd reach out as well.

So this is my situation (forgive me its long as I've three - four options).

This is my situation. I've applied for skilled migrant status (myself as PA with my husband and two children). My husband was refused as PA as he is a little bit older than myself. I was invited to apply and we are just at the end of a long process (see Invitation). The hitch has been that I applied under social work and they changed the policy in 2014 that I MUST be registered with the Social Work Registry Board and they only accept social workers from overseas if they have a bachelors or masters of social work. The NZQA acknowledge my degrees with the points necessary (7 and 9). I have a Masters in Public Health which would allow me to practice social work in Massachusetts (where I did my MPH). Having said that, I have never practiced in the States (I am a US citizen) but have worked for the UN on and off for the last 20 years.

I am in good communication SWRB who is applying for 'an exception' to the rule. My advocate agrees that my work experience would make me a social worker in this country but it is policy to have a BSW/MSW and she can't get around this (unless her plea for me is successful - I should know by end of week). Without the recognition by the SWRB my SMC Immigration dossier goes dead in the water. Let's call this Plan A.

In the meantime, the Min of Social Development will most likely employ me for 2 months on a short term project related to analysis of MSD response to the Canterbury earthquake. I have spoke to Immigration here and they suggested form INZ1113 "special event" and to get MSD to fill in the form. This is pending as my contact in the MSD has to go to the Deputy xxx to get permission (could be a week or two in the best of scenarios). AND made more complicated as it will be easier for me to get this 2 month work visa as long as I have my skilled migrant visa pending.

On top of this I've been asked by the Prime Ministers Office to help out the Canterbury District Health Board on a similar task, that is capturing lessons learned from an upcoming People in Disasters Conference on Mental Health issues in the earthquake - next week. This will be a "honorarium" job not a contract. Okay its all 'contract work', and I have a very strong history of contract work, so not sure if this would qualify for the SMC7.15a)iii).

So Plan B was a short term (2 mo) work visa (or work to residence in the best scenario).

Finally if all comes to naught, I've been invited to apply to VIC for a PhD in Disaster Economics. I've been promised a scholarship. But a 3yr commitment crunching numbers is not my first choice. And it means starting from square one with associated costs for the student visa. With medicals, etc this has been a costly endeavour already! There is a deadline on this one too - 1 March for applications to VIC. I am preparing my application as Plan C.

I am here in NZ with my family. We're on tourist visas until 22 May. They are UK citizens. And the kids are at the local school where they have the right to go for 3 months (thank goodness for the international convention on the rights of the child!).

My husband on the other hand, has been offered part time contract work (3.5 days week) with the NZ Red Cross on a Resilience project.

Most grateful for some advice,

Kerren in Paekak

that's really a complex set of questions. When you say you have an "advocate" do you mean someone helping with the SWRB process, or as an Immigration Adviser?

I think all you can do for the moment is to wait to see if "Plan A" comes off.
    If your residence application is declined there is always the possibility of an Appeal based on special circumstances, or even an approach to the Minister for a Special Direction. I think if you have support from DPMC, MSD and VUW that would be a really strong case.

Getting a work visa for any of those, particularly under specific purpose rules shouldn't be an issue. Doing a PhD also gives you unlimited work rights.

I may also have missed your point here.

What is driving the requirement for registration with SWRB? If you had a job offer, relevant to your qualification, but for which registration is not required, you could proceed?
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 18th February 2016 at 09:59 AM.