Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone managed to secure a job whilst living outside NZ?

Elsa this is a brilliant reply! I can understand all these reasons. It annoys me that people are applying for jobs and saying they have a work permit when they actually don't! They are putting employers of the rest of us who do actually have a visa! I'm waiting on about 5 jobs that I applied for that haven't closed yet and if I don't get interviews I'm going to convince my hubby that we need to just go over there.

I got my job while living in Canada, visa in progress. I actually got two offers in one day, after about 40 rejections. It seems a mater of the perfect fit coming along at the perfect time. It seems a real disadvantage to be over seas, but it is possible!

Like others, I did secure my academic job before arriving in NZ. But I've been involved in hiring a few staff subsequently. Even at a university, the expectation is that there has to be no suitable local candidate before considering an overseas appointment. We're much more expensive because of the moving/relocation costs and it takes longer to take up a role if there's a visa to be acquired. Even Australians--who don't need visas and are only a few hours away--are more appealing than candidates from Canada, the US, or elsewhere.

Yep it certainly is possible ...

I got my job in NZ whilst I was in the UK. In fact I had 3 job offers come though in the end - and I took a job with a government organisation. Admittedly I had some pretty rare skills that this organisation were looking for, and I had already obtained a Skilled Migrants Visa - so there wasn't an undue delay in my accepting the position.

It really comes down to a bit of perseverance, the right skillset and (in my case) a very helpful recruitment person who was invaluable in talking to the client in their timezone. The jobs were initially posted on SEEK so that was where the original contact came from - but I called the recruitment person directly to chat about my CV and made a positive impression that way. It made their subsequent conversations with the end clients that much easier knowing what my motivations and requirements were.

its so nice to see so many positive responses....

Elsa , why don't you try an house swap site for a long holiday or www.trustedhousesitters.com and go to NZ for 3-4 months. Stay somewhere near a largish city/town and job hunt like crazy while having a look around. If you are not paying rent and have someone nice looking after your home/pets etc you will feel relaxed enough.
    Maybe take a lower paying job and then keep your eyes peeled for a job in your field ? Just a thought .

I arrived in NZ nearly 17 years ago with no money and no brains but managed to sort it out. If it's your dream take the chance.... it's worth it. good luck

Quote Originally Posted by kdok View Post
    I got my job while living in Canada, visa in progress. I actually got two offers in one day, after about 40 rejections. It seems a mater of the perfect fit coming along at the perfect time. It seems a real disadvantage to be over seas, but it is possible!
    Thanks! It's nice to hear success stories!

This was my original post, not Elsa's, but thanks for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by julie kerr View Post
    Elsa , why don't you try an house swap site for a long holiday or www.trustedhousesitters.com and go to NZ for 3-4 months. Stay somewhere near a largish city/town and job hunt like crazy while having a look around. If you are not paying rent and have someone nice looking after your home/pets etc you will feel relaxed enough.
    Maybe take a lower paying job and then keep your eyes peeled for a job in your field ? Just a thought .

I arrived in NZ nearly 17 years ago with no money and no brains but managed to sort it out. If it's your dream take the chance.... it's worth it. good luck
    This was my original post, not Elsa's, but thanks for your reply!

My experience thus far is that recruiters are considering folks for roles which require one to do technical job's - hardcore technical. Not for my skill set - BA and/or PM. For latter roles, they prefer one to be in country and 'reachable' for a f2f. For the former, my spouse, had reached interview stage with WestPac but wierdly, they changed their requirement mid-intervirew! And the whole interview was, as I am told, '..duh? But that is not what you advertised!'

So, I and my spouse resigned today. Will fly to NZ in mid-May and begin the job quest!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12