Thread: Residence application question regarding driving offenses

Default Residence application question regarding driving offenses

Hi everyone,

I was filling the INZ1000 residence application form when I came across the following question.

"Have you, or anyone included in this application, been convicted at any time of any offence, including any driving offence?"

I had one speeding incident six years ago where I got a fine and three penalty points in which I didn't have to go to court. Is speeding considered a driving offence? If so, will it have a negative effect on my application?

Thanks in advance for any help.

is speeding a driving offence ? What else would it be
    So yes definitely declare it, you let the CO make the decision whether its relevant for your application or not.

Thanks for your help.
    I know it sounds like a stupid question but I was just afraid that the question was only referring to major driving offences and if I ticked it, it would affect my application.
    Thanks again for your help.

Sorry for pondering on this but I just but I just reread the question is says we're you "convicted" of any offence. I received a fixed penalty so is that considered a conviction? I thought you had to go to court to get convicted and I didn't? I just don't want to waste the CO's time with unnecessary information.

Have a look at this website
    As a general rule: Declare everything, no matter how small, and let INZ make the decision as to whether it “counts” or not.

That's where it gets technical . In NZ minor speeding is an " infringement offence, not a "traffic offence" Generally best just to write " paid infringements only" and provide detail. They are particular interested in dangerous or drunk driving when they refer to traffic offences, not minor infringements.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 22nd February 2016 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    That's where it gets technical . In NZ minor speeding is an " infringement offence, not a "traffic offence" Generally best just to write " paid infringements only" and provide detail. They are particular interested in dangerous or drunk driving when they refer to traffic offences, not minor infringements.
    Hi Chris, I am In the same position, and was also thinking to write "paid infringements only" but I was wondering should I tick yes or no to the conviction's just above where ill write that?

There's generally no court appearance, no conviction and no record ( on PC) . I've never seen anyone questioned who has ticked "no" to conviction question ( or arrested or charged, those question seem to change regularly on forms) and written " paid infringements only" in the explanation section.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 22nd February 2016 at 05:42 AM.

A fixed penalty isn't a conviction. It's a penalty. It can be non endorsable or endorsable.

The tricky part comes when it's for no insurance, theft, driving without due care and attention etc. These tickets have been created to save the public purse for court cases and legal aid etc.

As said before I would declare all. They will ask you to explain a character issue when it comes to the ITA stage.

I'm speaking for experience and working knowledge !

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will tick no to the question regarding if I have had any convictions but I will provide the information about my fixed penalty for speeding.
    Last edited by zambrotta11; 22nd February 2016 at 11:45 AM.