Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partnership visa/visitor visa help please

Default Partnership visa/visitor visa help please

Hi everyone,

First time posting on the forum and looking for some help on what route to take please.
    I am a NZ citizen and we are looking to get a partnership based visa for my partner.
    We have been living together since he arrived here at the beginning of January, we realise this isn't enough time to apply for a partner visa yet so we are thinking that the next step is to apply to extend his 3 month visitor visa to give us more time to meet the living together requirement. Would this be the correct way to go? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Hi Daysie,

Welcome! From what day did you start collecting info in January?

My partner came in on a 3 month visa (he landed 13 nov - started collecting information then and submitted our application the 21st January. In total we had 9 consecutive weeks of living together. We also had a few months earlier in the year (january - march 2015) which i think immigration considered when processing our application. We heard back from immgration on the 3rd February 2016 and they approved his visa and gave him two years! I think they generally take it seriously at 3 months ( we only had 9 weeks of livving together but we also had a little bit from the year before which might have helped)

If it is possible to extend his visa then maybe do that but there have been instances where 2 months of solid good evidence has been fine.

This statement should not be taken as legal immigration advice.

my partner couldn't apply for a further 3 months as he had already come in to NZ twice before and used up his time period allocated in the country (over a period of 18 months)..however if you do have that option and your partner and yourself can support each other while he can't work then i don't see any harm

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by ORIO92 View Post
    my partner couldn't apply for a further 3 months as he had already come in to NZ twice before and used up his time period allocated in the country (over a period of 18 months)..however if you do have that option and your partner and yourself can support each other while he can't work then i don't see any harm

Thanks so much for your replies, i appreciate it
    This is his first time in the country so there is no issue with that, though i have been doing some more reading and im not sure the visitor visa extension is the right way to go as it asks when he intends to leave etc. Im thinking the temporary partnership work or visitor visa is the one we should be looking at, i just want to make the right decision to make sure we get to stay together.

that makes sense!

My partner came in like yours on a 3 month visitor visa and we applied 2 months in for a temporary work visa through partnership (if you live together less than a year they say on the website they can only grant you 1 year to start with however to our surprise they granted us two~!!!!) - i think it was because we had soooo much proof im not quite sure but not complaining.

i think from my experience a temporary work visa through partnership is what you should be applying for (which is a pathway to residency )
    like i said before if you can afford to there is nothing wrong with extending your visitors visa to another 3 months and then apply when you feel you have collected enough evidence.

The when you intend to leave question shouldnt worry you too much i dont think, because people change their minds..
    In my case we explained that he came here to "Visit" initially but soon realised that he wanted to stay so that we could properly carry on our relationship and build a future together.

JandM or ChrisMwn am i correct in saying this?

This statement should not be taken as legal immigration advice.

Thanks again for your reply Orio92 I really appreciate it
    Last edited by Daysie; 24th February 2016 at 08:09 PM. Reason: spelling error

Bump

Your partner may have an issue with an extension of the visitor's visa, given that a visitor by definition is someone who is making a trip for a finite amount of time, and INZ expect them to be going to leave again to go back to their original country. Yes, some people do ask to extend their trip, but if he then applies for a partner-sponsored visa three or four months down the line, and it becomes apparent that he has been busy collecting evidence for partnership all the time, it will show up that the request for longer as a visitor was not completely truthful (and INZ can interpret that as fraud).

If you were to put in the application for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa towards the end of the life of his present visa, getting AS MUCH EVIDENCE AS POSSIBLE together - see this link https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof for old threads with explanations and more ideas that may help - he would be entitled to stay on in any case. Once the application is lodged, he will be issued with an interim visa to cover the time after the visitor's visa runs out, while the application is being processed. Don't forget to keep collecting evidence while the processing is happening - INZ always ask for more just before a visa is issued, to make sure they don't grant it if someone's relationship has broken down in the meantime. Also, you will need a continuous record of evidence for the time of processing and on after that, ready for applying for residence later.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Your partner may have an issue with an extension of the visitor's visa, given that a visitor by definition is someone who is making a trip for a finite amount of time, and INZ expect them to be going to leave again to go back to their original country. Yes, some people do ask to extend their trip, but if he then applies for a partner-sponsored visa three or four months down the line, and it becomes apparent that he has been busy collecting evidence for partnership all the time, it will show up that the request for longer as a visitor was not completely truthful (and INZ can interpret that as fraud).

If you were to put in the application for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa towards the end of the life of his present visa, getting AS MUCH EVIDENCE AS POSSIBLE together - see this link https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof for old threads with explanations and more ideas that may help - he would be entitled to stay on in any case. Once the application is lodged, he will be issued with an interim visa to cover the time after the visitor's visa runs out, while the application is being processed. Don't forget to keep collecting evidence while the processing is happening - INZ always ask for more just before a visa is issued, to make sure they don't grant it if someone's relationship has broken down in the meantime. Also, you will need a continuous record of evidence for the time of processing and on after that, ready for applying for residence later.
    Oh that is brilliant, thank you so very much for that information, so very helpful and eased my mind about the pathway I was thinking was correct.. thanks also for the links to information, truly appreciate it!
    Right,off to collate and collect as much proof and information as possible lol!

http://www.enz.org/forum/showthread....830&highlight= here is a link to the evidence i provided..this is what helped us get a 2 year visa.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast