Thread: Questions about Partnership based temp work visa.

Default Questions about Partnership based temp work visa.

Hi there,

So I am after some guidance as I'm not sure what to do next. Currently I am on a Partnership based temporary visa which expires in June 2016. Myself and my partner are still together so we are just finding out the best steps to take.

I am currently not working (just finished a 6 month contract) and it is hard to get a permanent job when you don't have a permanent visa. I want to start working asap but I'm not sure which visa I should apply for next. If I apply for residence it can take a long time to get approved meaning I won't be able to work. I'm thinking of getting another 1 year temporary visa but I'm not sure if that can be done. Can anyone advise what they think my best option would be?

Many thanks
    Last edited by Csander111; 29th February 2016 at 02:06 PM.

I'm confused. You have an open partnership based work visa, based on your relationship with a NZ Citizen/PR, which has 15 Months to run? That allows you to work anywhere, for anyone (or not) . The next step would be a partnership based residence application, which should take 6-9 months to be approved, if you have by that time lived together for 12 months (which you must have if you got a 2 year relationship based work visa already) Your current visa is valid until it expires, or until you are granted residence.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 29th February 2016 at 02:05 PM.

Hey sorry that was a typing error. My visa expires June 2016.

OK , so get your residence application in, and if it is not finalised by June, you can then apply for a further temporary visa. You might be surprised how quicky it cam be processed oif you have been together in NZ for two years and have a temporary visa due to expire
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 29th February 2016 at 02:10 PM.