Thread: Family Category Parent Residence class visa eligibility?

Default Family Category Parent Residence class visa eligibility?

Hello guys.

I came to NZ in Jan 2014, so I have now basically converted it to a PRV and looking to apply for my parent resident visa. I meet the TIER 1 requirement ( above 65k gross salary), and by the time EOI is picked i will have lived here for 3 yrs.

Seniors pls answer following queries about me being a ELIGIBLE SPONSOR

1. Is it compulsory to have a permanent or continuous job to be a SPONSOR. I am a seafarer and get 2-4 month work per year in NZ, that get me 90K plus gross. I have IRD statements to prove it !

2. Do I have to live only 184 days in each of the 3 years or 3 years at a stretch ?

3. Is there a compulsion for me to live with my parents in New Zealand once they are granted residency for next 5 years. Can I do some offshore work in australia, and still support my parents for 5 years as per the requirements?

4. I have enough money to support my parents in NZ for many years to come, but what will INZ expect from me?

5. what is the current waiting time under TIER 1 for EOI selection , it used to be 6-8 months, but i heard recently that it has increased to 12 months

6. Can I show my money earned in australia toward my NZ salary requirement for 3rd year ( first 2 were in NZ )

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

Quote Originally Posted by Gurminder View Post

I came to NZ in Jan 2014, so I have now basically converted it to a PRV and looking to apply for my parent resident visa. I meet the TIER 1 requirement ( above 65k gross salary), and by the time EOI is picked i will have lived here for 3 yrs.
    No, you have to have been a NZ resident for three years BEFORE the EOI goes in. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ponsorship.htm

1. Is it compulsory to have a permanent or continuous job to be a SPONSOR. I am a seafarer and get 2-4 month work per year in NZ, that get me 90K plus gross. I have IRD statements to prove it !
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/46408.htm F4.30 1 b. If you can show the money regularly and legally coming in, it is all right.

2. Do I have to live only 184 days in each of the 3 years or 3 years at a stretch ?
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ponsorship.htm 184 days in each of the three years is the minimum requirement.

3. Is there a compulsion for me to live with my parents in New Zealand once they are granted residency for next 5 years. Can I do some offshore work in australia, and still support my parents for 5 years as per the requirements?
    You have to be 'ordinarily resident in New Zealand' http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/46178.htm - that is, NZ is your home. This does not stop you from travelling away some of the time.
    4. I have enough money to support my parents in NZ for many years to come, but what will INZ expect from me?
    Sponsorship undertakings here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...ponsorship.htm

5. what is the current waiting time under TIER 1 for EOI selection , it used to be 6-8 months, but i heard recently that it has increased to 12 months
    That is correct at the moment. It can alter depending on the volume of acceptable applications.
    6. Can I show my money earned in australia toward my NZ salary requirement for 3rd year ( first 2 were in NZ )
    Your legal income from anywhere, as declared and taxed in NZ, counts.

Thank You very nuch for expert comments.

I have confirmed by calling INZ, that for filing a EOI no need to be 3 yrs in NZ, but when u apply after getting ETA u shud have completed 3 yrs then, so since i have completed 2yrs and 2 months already, i have potentially 16 months in hand ( 12 months for EOI selection and 4 months grace for applying ). Also as per EOI form, it says there that people having done about 2.5 yrs can file a EOI, as they will certainly complete 3 years when they will apply !

An excerpt from INZ 1202 ( EOI )

Sponsor’s eligibility
    If your expression of interest is selected before your sponsor is eligible, you may not be invited to apply for residence.
    For more information on sponsor eligibility, see ‘Requirements to gain residence’ in the Parent Category Guide.

So as it takes abt 12 months for EOI selecion, I would be eligible for sure by the time its picked up !

Okay, thanks for that. This is quite a difference from INZ's attitude on the EOIs for applications under SMC, which are rough-checked as soon as they are submitted, and thrown back if anyone has claimed on presumption that they WILL HAVE e.g a certain degree by the time of processing, or WILL HAVE completed x number of years of experience.

Hi Gurminder

I am also planning to apply for my Mum's residency through parent's category.
    I have met the basic requirements of three years and family income for Tier 1.
    If you have done some research, can you please post the list of documents that needs to be submitted to immigration.
    Also, can we choose the INZ office for visa processing?
    Thanks

HI mkk33

can you please share the timeline for your parents EOI i submitted back in february but still waiting for EOI to be picked up

You can't choose the office. Your parents' application will have to go into the INZ office covering the area where they live - find it here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/ex...96DF2B84F2.htm