Thread: Applying for Visa for Adopted Child

Default Applying for Visa for Adopted Child

Hi there,

Some of you may know that we applied for our PR about 6 years ago and received our PR status about 2 years ago. We are now adopting a child from Malaysia, IN Malaysia (not through Child and Youth Services NZ). This child will be legally adopted and will have legal travel documents, i.e. passport

Does anyone here have an experience of this? I've searched the threads and found some adoption cases but nothing where both the parents are PR of NZ and not citizens.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Jen

Here are the regulations that will apply in your case. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/44890.htm

F5.1 a iii - their parent(s) is lawfully and permanently in New Zealand. That tells you that you as residents are in a position to apply for residence for your adopted child.

F5.1 b iii - have been adopted by (see R3) their parent(s) after their parent(s) made their own application for a residence class visa, by a New Zealand adoption order made under the Adoption Act 1955, or an overseas adoption order which, under section 17 of the Adoption Act 1955, has the same effect as a New Zealand adoption order. My bolding shows that the Malaysian adoption can work for INZ.

Good luck!

I think you need to inform CYFs and get CYFs to confirm your adoption in Malaysia is Hague Convention compliant. I think Malaysia is a signatory to the Hague Convention but you need to check. Otherwise you need to prove your adoption in Malaysia is legally compliant to Malaysian law.