Thread: Working Holiday Visa holder, IRD #, Opening Bank account

Default Working Holiday Visa holder, IRD #, Opening Bank account

I'm arriving this year to NZ on 23 month working holiday Visa.

I read somewhere that You need an IRD number to open a bank account. This can't be true can it?

I've inquired to ASB bank about opening up an account before I arrive in NZ. Hopefully this will be possible.

I downloaded the IRD form, which ask for my NZ bank account number. So hopefully the bank does not ask for an IRD number... that won't make much sense.

Is it worth the effort to get an IRD number before I arrive in NZ. I read somewhere that you can start working without an IRD number, as long as you get it ASAP and inform your employer as soon as you receive it. Should I just save myself the hassle and just wait until I have a job before applying for my IRD number.

Also, the IRD asks for my TIN number, which I'm assuming is my SIN number (I'm a Canadian resident).

Any insight appreciated. Thank you.

These days, you can't get an IRD number before arriving in NZ, though it used to be possible. Once you arrive, it is really easy. http://www.ird.govt.nz/news-updates/...n-changes.html This page explains various other things you were querying, too.

Thank You!