Thread: Spouse Sponsorship

Post Spouse Sponsorship

Hi there,

I got residence visa under partnership category and were living here in NZ for quite sometime. My partner was the principal applicant and he applied under SMC. We were in relation for a year after I got my residence visa but now we have broken up and my parents want me to marry a guy from India. I am wondering is there any restriction for me to apply for my spouse for his residence visa or can I just sponsor him? some people said there could be restriction or I have to wait, not sure if this is true... please help.

Thanks,
    S

F2.10.10 Definition of ‘eligible to support a residence class visa application under the Partnership Category’
    a.For a New Zealand partner (F2.10.2) to be eligible to support a residence class visa application under the Partnership Category they: i.must not have acted as a partner in more than one previous successful residence class visa application; and
    ii.must not have acted as a partner in a successful application for a residence class visa in the five years immediately preceding the date the current application is made; and
    iii.the New Zealand partner cannot, in the seven years prior to the date the application is made, have been the perpetrator of an incident of domestic violence which has resulted in the grant of a resident visa to a person under the category for victims of domestic violence (see S4.5); and
    iv.must meet the character requirement for partners supporting applications made under the Partnership Category as set out in R5.95.

b.A New Zealand partner is considered to have acted as a partner if they previously: i.supported a successful Partnership Category application for a residence class visa; or
    ii.were the principal applicant in a successful Partnership Category application for a residence class visa; or
    iii.were the principal applicant in a successful application for a residence class visa that included a secondary applicant partner, excluding residence class visa applications made under RV After the grant of a resident visa; or
    iv.were a secondary applicant partner in a successful application for a residence class visa, excluding residence class visa applications made under RV After the grant of a resident visa.

Note: Applications under Partnership Category include applications made under the Family Category Spouse and De facto partner policy in force before Partnership Category took effect.

Quote Originally Posted by gujju View Post
    Hi there,

I got residence visa under partnership category and were living here in NZ for quite sometime. My partner was the principal applicant and he applied under SMC. We were in relation for a year after I got my residence visa but now we have broken up and my parents want me to marry a guy from India. I am wondering is there any restriction for me to apply for my spouse for his residence visa or can I just sponsor him? some people said there could be restriction or I have to wait, not sure if this is true... please help.

Thanks,
    S
    Yes there is restriction. read as below

Definition of ‘eligibility to support your partner’
    Applications for residence under the Family – Partnership Category will not be approved if the New Zealand partner:
    • has been convicted of any offence involving domestic violence or of a sexual nature in the seven years prior to the
    date the application was made (unless granted a character waiver)
    • was, in the seven years prior to the date the application is made, the perpetrator of an incident of domestic violence
    which has resulted in the grant of a resident visa under the Victims of Domestic Violence Category
    • has been included in or supported an application where a residence class visa was granted on the basis of a
    partnership in the five years immediately preceding the date of the current application, or
    • has been included in or supported more than one previous residence class visa application where a visa was granted
    on the basis of a partnership with a New Zealand partner

Link here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd.../0/INZ1002.pdf

there is no restriction if you want to marry but you can't support him for 5 years from the date you got residency(Please read above text from immi site)

my opinion is based on info from immi site only.