Thread: Working as Doctor

Default Working as Doctor

Hi everyone
    I need advise ASAP I am a orthopaedic trained Dr currently working in Singapore since last 06 years as a senior registrar recently got an offer from Dunedin hospital, underwent an interview with them everything went well only when I asked about duration of contract they told me it's only until December 2016 I really want to go to NZ for batter life and work balance and good education for my kids but in big delima now as don't know is it normal in NZ to have such short contracts? What after December 2016? Will same hospital extend the contract or have to do job hunting again?
    Your replies will be very much appreciated

Regards

It might depend on how the vacancy arose in the first place? Is it maternity leave cover for someone?

Chris thanks for your reply I am not sure about it but once you are in NZ is it easy to get job as doctor ( Registrar) ? What is the normal duration of contract normally? I would like to come with my family so I don't want any problem.
    Last edited by Goldie_76; 2nd March 2016 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Add text

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie_76 View Post
    Chris thanks for your reply I am not sure about it but once you are in NZ is it easy to get job as doctor ( Registrar) ? What is the normal duration of contract normally? I would like to come with my family so I don't want any problem.
    Hi there,
    As far as I am aware Registrar contracts are only a year in duration. Registrars "rotate" every 12 months, usually in December.
    That is they spend one year in a chosen hospital then move on to another year long contract in another location/hospital.
    Last edited by Rob&Don; 2nd March 2016 at 08:45 PM.

Rob&Don
    Thanks for your reply, you are correct but in UK and Singapore we have "Trainee registrars" but there are service registrars as well who just provide services and they are sort of permanent employees and there contract renew on yearly basis, when I asked from interview panel that if my performance will be satisfactory is there any chance of extension of contract after December 2016? They said you have to reapply.