Thread: What is the general consensus on this forum about immigration consultants?

Default What is the general consensus on this forum about immigration consultants?

What are people’s views about the use of immigration consultants for getting NZ visas and permits? I understand they are more tightly regulated nowadays.

Has anyone on this forum found them helpful in their cases?

Or if I am a native English speaker, are better off just relying on my own common sense in filling out the forms?

Immigration Advisers can be very helpful when your application gets technical and complicated.

Just my 2cents

Many people on the forum have managed their own applications perfectly successfully. Consultants/advisers tell applicants what evidence they must assemble and provide, but then, so do all the pages on the INZ website, and the guides to the various application forms. Contrary to what some people think, consultants/advisers do not do all the finding of evidence for you (and that is the part that most people find the most work). If someone's case is unusual or complicated in some way, that is when it can be good to have someone telling them what to do. (We on the forum, apart from the two Licensed Immigration Advisers who post here, are not allowed to advise (in the sense of telling anyone what to do) - we point out the parts of the INZ site which apply, and share other people's experiences, so each person can see for themself what their next step can be.)

From my perspective, I don't for a moment suggest that everyone should use an Adviser. Neither though is an immigration application simply a matter of form filling. Common sense is not always what is required, but rather a knowledge of process, branches and case officers practice, and of similar cases and precedents. Unfortunately INZ don't always get decisions right and many cases are successfully appealed to the IPT. For temporary entry matters in countries which have a high risk profile there are added complications, which visa applicants would not be aware of. Some applications, such as partnership applications are particularly subjective and others such as SMC have lots of hidden detail within the rules (instructions) that INZ follow. I like to consider, can I add value? is this case something that I'm familiar with ?and can I bring my expertise and experience to bear to produce a positive outcome? is the client willing and able to follow advice provided? and finally what is a fair and reasonable charge for my work?

I agree with everything that Chris has said, as applying to himself and to Karen Phillips, the LIAs who post here, and have to my knowledge generously and successfully helped many people, whether or not those people eventually became their clients.

We didn't use an immigration advisor for our (admittedly straightforward) visa application under the Skilled Migrant Category. For us they would have been an expensive way of adding an extra step in the flow of information between ourselves and INZ. I found the information on the INZ website (and indeed this forum) to be helpful and up-to-date. I spoke to INZ on the phone several times for clarification and they were very helpful. I found that being organised with your evidence, being honest and open at every stage made a big difference. For me it WAS a form filling exercise but I can see how for others it may not be. I can see how an advisor would be invaluable if your application is not straightforward or you need that extra help.