Thread: Name change process

Default Name change process

Hi Guys,

Really appreciate if anyone has some information about the name change in NZ.

We hold an Indian passport but with a permanent residence visa in NZ and we have been in NZ since 2013. My kid is 4 years old and she has got birth certificate from India as she was born there. We are experiencing some weird issue with her first name. My daughter’s first name has two words with a space in it so everywhere(GP,Kindy etc…) they are missing the second work and only taking the first word as first name as there is space. So we are repeatedly telling them to have both words which is annoying some times. SO we are thinking to change her name in NZ as it is very simple. Name change process is straight forward and the DIA provides name change form after it is processed.

Long story short, can you please answer the below questions for me?

1. After getting name change form, Do we need to change the name in the passport immediately?
    2. Passport is due for renewal in one year, so can we do that with the renewal or immediately?
    3. Since it is Indian passport, we would apply for renewal in wellington. So will they accept name change from NZ or anything they want?
    4. Do we need to change the visa label immediately? Passport is due for renewal in one year, so can we do that with the renewal or immediately?
    5. What happens to the immigration history till now? She travelled many times to India till now, so I am just thinking of the immigration records with the old name.
    6. Since NZ govt will provide name change form, how do we get birth certificate with new name again?

Appreciate your time and Thanks

Hi there,

In here, they follow what is written on the documents you have presented to them like the birth certificate and passport. Thus, you cant say that the two words (name) on the birth certificate/passport is actually one word.

Regards,
    Last edited by jeremylee99; 5th March 2016 at 03:19 PM.

Hi jeremy,
    I agree with you but again that is theory..practical is different we are seeing in Auckland. One example is GP registration...When we fill out the form given by medicle centre they enter the names wrongly in the database and the form does not have any first name, last name specific field and it is just full name. There is nothing we are getting with two words in the first name so thinking to change it to one word.

Cheers

I think there are many questions here.

How a name gets recorded on an Indian passport and birth certificate is a matter for Indian (HC) authorities.
    What is needed to change a name is also for IHC.
    INZ will issue a visa label to match the name that is on the passport.
    INZ will link any previous travel history with a "new" passport.

A passport is a travel document only, and so its only if you want to travel that you would need to have a new NZ visa label put in a new Indian passport.