Thread: Pregnant visa issues...

Default Pregnant visa issues...

So I'm on a WHZ which expires in May, however my kiwi partner and I are also applying for permanent residency for myself. I understand that this can take 3-9 months so will need to apply for a temporary work visa before this one runs out.

The main snag I've got currently is that I've just found out I'm 9 weeks pregnant - (I have already done medicals before this) and there is a question that asks me on my temporary work visa if I am pregnant. So I obviously have to be honest and tell them when I apply. I am bricking it a little bit that my visa will be denied on this basis - although I have been told by immigration via the phone helpline that they will not deny me on this basis. The only reason I question this is because the person I spoke to was not very informative and seemed had conflicting information I.e that I would only need $5000 to prove I can pay for the baby myself and not rely on healthcare, however on my application it states $9000. We absolutely can pay either amount and prove this also.

Sorry if this is confusing! Was just hoping someone had been in this situation before....my whole life is now in NZ and returning to the UK is no longer a possibility with a baby as my parents have recently moved away and would be my only basis of support.

Thanks!

No, people are not denied a visa on account of pregnancy, not any more. And the partner-sponsored temporary work visa ALLOWS one to work, but doesn't say one MUST work, so don't worry that you will be criticized if you don't want to be holding down a job throughout the life of the visa, when the pregnancy will be approaching full-term.

If your partner is a NZer, you will be entitled to pregnancy and birth-related health care free. http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...nancy-services

Thank you for your response, feeling much better about this!

How do you prove that you are eligible for free maternity health care, is a copy of my partners passport sufficient? I'm guessing probably not

No, if your partner is named as the father of the child, then his passport would suffice. Your LMC or hospital should be asking for this information.