Thread: On a WHV but want to stay

Default On a WHV but want to stay

Hi everyone I will try and explain my situation in brief! I backpacked Australia in a bus for a year and decided the backpacking life wasn't what I wanted to continue on, although amazing experiences etc there was alot about it that they don't tell you i.e the stress of finding water points, showers and free camping spots on a daily basis! I'm also getting on a bit and need to think about settling down as would like a family one day. Have fallen in love with NZ and got a good job and partner here so wanting to stay. So in brief my current situation is:

• I entered NZ on 14th July 2015 on a WHV which will end 14th July this year
    • I started working on 17th August 2015 and can legally work until 17th August this year
    • I got a job 4-5 months ago working in a Lawyers through an agency in the knowledge management team (admin work)
    • The job was meant to be only until end of December but they extended me until end of March and now want to offer me a year's fixed term contract
    • Although they have sponsered someone previously at the Christchurch office they said this was complicated and wouldn't be looking to go down this avenue
    • I met a kiwi within the first few weeks of being in Dunedin and we have been officially together since 23rd August 2015 and officially living together since he end of November - he bought his own house and asked me to move in
    • I've not applied for the 2nd year WHV yet as want some advice on what my current/future options are

That's pretty much where I stand at the moment! I know I will be able to get the 2nd year WHV no issues but I'm really wanting to want to continue working at the Lawyers if possible as it is a good job and would be stupid if I had to give it up. I did see on the immigration website that there is a temporary working visa which isn't a WHV but doesn't give much detail as to if I would be able to apply for it being on a WHV or not.

I think another option is that I saw if you have been with a partner less than 12 months then you can apply for a year temporary working visa and then apply for another year after that, which at that point would be eligible for residency.

Just looking for advice on what my best option is to take as want to do things right but don't like the idea of not being able to work as although my partner would support me I'm too proud and independent!

If you have been in a relationship since August and living together since November then you should not have any difficulty gaining a relationship based work visa. You'll need evidence that you are living together ( see other threads)
    If you are living together you can apply for residence which can be approved if you have been living together for 12 months ( not 2 years)
    with an " open " work visa you can work for anyone, and there's no need for your employer to be involved.