Thread: Visa waiver visit while Residency being processed

Default Visa waiver visit while Residency being processed

I have submitted an application for residency (partnership - wife from NZ, married 14 years), and due to a job offer for my wife a temp work visa under the partnership category as well. Temp Application has now been referred to Medical Assessor which will obviously delay things. I hold a UK passport.

My question is assuming my temp visa does not come through in time, so I can be with my wife & son can I travel to NZ on a visa waiver and wait there for the visa decision? I realise I will need sufficient funds and a return ticket.

Any advice appreciated.

Do you mean, as a visitor from a visa-waiver country?

If that's what you're thinking of, it could lead to difficulties and unpleasantness upon arrival. The point is that a visitor, by definition, is intending to be in NZ for a finite amount of time, then leave again to go back to their country of origin. Obviously, that is not what you want to do at all. When the aeroplane gets near to landing in NZ, you have to fill in a card about yourself and your intended visit, and that card is a legal document on which you MUST tell the truth. Also, when once you presented your passport to Immigration at the NZ airport of arrival, as soon as it was scanned it would bring up details of the two visa applications you have in, so the officials would immediately know you want to stay indefinitely in NZ.

Thanks, that's what I thought, my mother-in-law got some advice to the contrary which I thought might be dodgy!

You could TRY asking INZ if it would be possible to get a visitor's visa in advance. I'm doubtful that it would be granted, though. They go by the likelihood, which they know from experience, of a person disappearing off the radar within NZ, and becoming an overstayer, if their work visa application were refused.

Thanks JandM, yes I was thinking about that, I can see what you're saying though, the flight risk would be high as a rule. I will give it a go though, what I really meant in the OP wHich didn't really come across was to genuinely intend to stay for a month or so, with a return flight booked, to help my wife settle in / make sure 'it's for us' then come home to sort out affairs here before returning (hopefully) with a visa, although I can see how this is starting to sound dodgy already, I guess there big question is going to be 'what will your wife do if you're visa is rejected?' I'm going to take some legal advice on it.
    Thanks again for your help.

I can well understand your feelings, and YOU know that you are a decent person with honest intentions, but the INZ regulations are intended to stop the loopholes for dodgy elements, so ordinary respectable lives get interrupted.