Thread: Family Visa Advice

Default Family Visa Advice

Hi All.

My partner is a Kiwi citizen from birth im a UK citizen. We have a 14 month old son and one on the way, and have been living together for 4 years.

We are looking to re-locate to NZ as all her family are there and a great place to bring up the kids.

My question is, getting started do I apply for residence based on family category, or a two year work visa and then apply for residence.

no doubt many of you have made this switch any info and advice would be much appreciated.

If you have solid evidence of the time you have been living together, there is no reason not to go directly for partner-sponsored residence. INZ look most closely at the 12 months leading up to the application.

that all depends on how much time you have, before you want to be in NZ? A residence application might take 3-5 months to be processed, whilst a temporary visa application might take 3-5 weeks! If you have been living together for more than 12 months then a residence application can be approved without waiting until you have lived together for 12 months or more.

Remember that your children don't need to be included in the INZ application, and can apply directly for NZ passports , since their father is a NZ citizen .

I'd recommend applying for residency via the partnership category; that's how I got mine and as long as you have plenty of proof that you're a couple in an established relationship, then it's a fairly straightforward process.