Thread: Can a spouse work in NZ while his wife is study English with a student visa?

Question Can a spouse work in NZ while his wife is study English with a student visa?

Me and my wife are trying to immigrate to NZ.

I've calculated my scores for SMC immigration, but got only 125 out of 140 without a job offer. But as I understand it, I need to have at least 140.

If my wife takes a student visa for 12 months to study English there then can I also go there with a working permission for this period?

Hi fireshock
    It depends upon on which level of study your wife going nz and accordingly you will get tourist visa or work visa. I think minimum level 7 is must to get spouse visa.
    If you go on tourist visa you can also apply for work visa once you reach nz and if you get work visa then its good.

This is just my opinion not immigration advice.

Quote Originally Posted by rajwinder singh View Post
    Hi fireshock
    It depends upon on which level of study your wife going nz and accordingly you will get tourist visa or work visa. I think minimum level 7 is must to get spouse visa.
    If you go on tourist visa you can also apply for work visa once you reach nz and if you get work visa then its good.

This is just my opinion not immigration advice.
    I see. Thank you.

Here is the INZ word on the subject, from this web page. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...am.htm#student

You must be in a genuine and stable relationship with your partner and they must hold a New Zealand student visa to study for:

a level seven (or higher) qualification on the New Zealand Qualification Framework in an area of absolute skill shortage as specified in the Long Term Skill Shortage List, or
    a postgraduate qualification.

Thank you for the link. Now I understand that language studying is not suitable.

i am hoping to come over thru a student visa in new zealand at nzie-Takapuna Campus. i wll be staying for a week at a homestay. any suggestion where to find an affordable accomodation/ shared flat for students (filipinos or Asian) and near to bus stations in case i would be able to find work?
    Last edited by perla torreja; 19th March 2016 at 03:55 PM.