Thread: Parent Category. Please help

Default Parent Category. Please help

Hi everyone,

My husband and I would like to sponsor my parents over to NZ but the trouble is I have a younger brother who is 15 years old at the moment. However My brother has not lived with my parents since 2013 ( when he was 12 years old). He came over to NZ on student visa and my husband and I have paid for his international school fee ever since. We have basically act as his parents over here. We paid for everything such as food clothes, etc... anything you can think of what parents would do, we do everything for him. He is living with us. I do understand that the definition of dependent children is has to be at least 18 years of age and financially dependent. Is there anyway we can prove he is no longer depend on my parents so we can sponsor my parents to NZ?

Thank you

Have you formally adopted your brother?

Hi,

No , we have thought about adopting him and we went to see CYF. Unfortunately under Hague convention, there is a clause that we have to justify how this child in need a home and we cannot justify it. Also in my country sister cannot adopt brother. So We have to give up.