Thread: Best city/town (near Auckland) to retire in

Default Best city/town (near Auckland) to retire in

I am doing some long term planning. Currently working but planning to retire when I hit 60. I wonder where is the best NZ city to retire in? where housing is affordable but at the same time close to Auckland for medical and convenience reasons. Any older members have any personal experience to share?

I suppose it all depends on what you like.

Do you want to be out in the sticks?
    Do you want to be close to a town?
    Are you adverse to cold weather and snow in winter
    etc.

Tauranga is a very popular retirement location for Aucklanders but as such, property is becoming more expensive there.

If you don't like cold winters then further south on South Island is possibly not for you.

I see you want to be 'close' to Auckland - to gain a significant drop in property price (more surplus cash after selling your Auckland home) you'd need to go at least a few hours drive from Auckland and that's now. Who knows how far people will be prepared to commute if prices continue to rise.

We are in the same mindset as you. At some point in the future to retire, sell up in Auckland, buy a nice place elsewhere and use the surplus from the Auckland home to top up any pension pot we may have.

Quote Originally Posted by relocate2014 View Post
    I suppose it all depends on what you like.

Do you want to be out in the sticks?
    Do you want to be close to a town?
    Are you adverse to cold weather and snow in winter
    etc.

Tauranga is a very popular retirement location for Aucklanders but as such, property is becoming more expensive there.

If you don't like cold winters then further south on South Island is possibly not for you.
    We are a lazy couple so close to town and basic amenities are important...can't stand the cold so the South is out for us.....I wouldn't mind a two hour drive to Auckland...a nice little town somewhere outside Auckland....???

I work in South East Auckland ad quite a few of the guys here commute from Pukekohe, so this may be an option. Not sure of property prices though.

Kiwis don't seem to mind travelling long distances by road. I sold a washing machine on TradeMe last year and the guy came from Thames to collect it. Our car was recently sold to a lady from Palmerston North - she came on an overnight coach and drove the car straight back!

Warkworth? Wellsford? (Both are to the north of Auckland.)

What about Huntly and Cambridge. I actually have no experience much, just arrive in NZ 6 weeks back, but I went to Rotorua a couple of times passing Huntly and Cambridge. I felt them nice and my friend told me that these areas are good for retirement. Just my 2 cents.

Have you looked at Orewa? also to the north of Auckland

Thanks all for the suggestions. Will check these places out...and perhaps spend some time in those cities to see how life would be... Plenty of time to do that....still a long way from retirement....

Quote Originally Posted by Bugsyjnr View Post
    Thanks all for the suggestions. Will check these places out...and perhaps spend some time in those cities to see how life would be... Plenty of time to do that....still a long way from retirement....
    Hi all,

Just thought of this: What about whangarei? Someone told me about the crime rate....it's only a 2 hour drive from Auckland....any opinions?

Cambridge is lovely - I'd totally retire there.