Thread: Post study work visa.

Default Post study work visa.

Hi everyone,

I am writing this query on behalf of one my friends. He is on student visa and expires on 30th March 2016. He had applied applied for the post study work visa and no updates on the application after three works. He is working with a bank and recently took up another job on six months contract. What happens if the application is not processed before 30 MARCH? Can he work during interim visa and what are the possibilities with his job?

Replies much appreciated and TIA.

See the chart here. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...erimvisaqa.htm Going from a student visa to a work visa, the interim visa will only be the equivalent of a visitor's visa, so he won't be able to work.

What do you mean by 'what are the possibilities with his job?' I'm wondering, did he apply for post study work visa (employer assisted), naming the bank? If so, and the new contract is with the bank, that is all right. But if the new contract is with some other employer, that is not all right, and he would have to tell INZ and name the other employer instead.

If he applied for a post study work visa (open), he is clear in either case.

If you meant, what will happen about the job since he can't work, the employer will just have to be patient till the proper visa comes through. NZ employers who offer jobs to foreigners know that they are dependent on INZ - the employer would be breaking the law just as much as the employee, if they allowed work to be done when they're not covered by a visa.

Anyway, here's hoping for him that the visa comes through soon.

Thanks JandM. Sorry for the confusion, what I meant was ''what are the possibilities that can happen to the job?''. He applied for open work permit.