Thread: Work Visa Confusion

Default Work Visa Confusion

Hi,

Today I got a very lengthy email from INZ. I am worried I might have applied for the wrong visa type.
    I am a Malaysian, living in Singapore.
    I am to work as a General Practitioner, was to start at the end of March 2016, but don't think that is going to happen.

They requested for a few things, which I am very puzzled by and if anybody could shed some light on why was I asked for this.
    1) Medical Council Registration - I had attached the interview letter that the council had issued, and according to what is written in the immigration website this is sufficient. However I was asked when will I complete my registration papers.

2) Police Certificate from Singapore
    I was told by INZ Singapore that a statutory declaration is enough for a work visa, as the Singapore Police does not provide a letter for non Singaporeans unless it is for PR application. But I was asked why I submitted a SD instead of a police clearance.

3) Sufficient evidence that my employer has tried to employ New Zealanders before hiring me. I relooked at the immigration website and GP come under long term shortage skill. I had already attached NZ113 form.

There were other things also requested like my certificates, my work history (which I had attached) and my job description ( had attached my contract)

I am worried that I might have applied for the wrong visa and it feels like Immigration is very suspicious of me or maybe it is me being anxious.

Please help shed some light!

You don't say what sort of visa you applied for.

You were to start at the end of March, 2016? If this isn't a misprint, considering it is now 24th March, no, it's not going to happen. But NZ employers do know when they appoint a foreigner that they and the employee are both dependent on INZ to process and grant a visa, without which they both would be illegal if s/he started working, so the delay is not your fault. A start-date is a thing wished for, not something they can fix for definite.

1) I don't know where you were looking on the INZ website, but if you look here http://skillshortages.immigration.go...-practitioner/, and then at the drop-down box under the green bar for LTSSL, you will see that the top requirement is for "NZ registration within a relevant provisional general, general, provisional vocational or vocational scope of practice with the Medical Council of New Zealand," so yes, you DO need your registration, before getting a visa. Look here https://www.mcnz.org.nz/get-registered/ and you will see that you would not be able to practise medicine in NZ without this registration, even if you already had a visa.

Your points 2) and 3) seem to show that the INZ employee who looked over your papers made a mistake, and you are quite within your rights to write back and point out the facts, as well as making the point about your work history and contract (if this last includes a full description of responsibilities).

Hey JandM,

Thanks for the quick reply.
    Sorry forgot to mention, it is for a temporary work visa.

Yep no way will be able to start work by end of March, hope my employer is ok with that. I have already emailed them.

http://www.dol.govt.nz/immigration/k...ase/item/16310
    It is actually based on this. I have the interview letter, but I have to go to NZ, to show them my certificates and get my practising certificate (PC)

I called INZ to ask for clarification, so he says they require a letter stating my job is in the long term skills shortage list and to reply that I will be going to the medical council to get my PC. But told him that my employer had already filled up the 1113 form.

He advised me to upload the explanation, with my certificates and wait for a reply.

This really makes me nervous.

That's a page I haven't ever seen before, so I'm sorry I was misleading you by quoting the other one - but that means it's another point on which this official is not following procedure, or else not looking properly at the paperwork you have sent.

In other such cases, the applicants concerned have written a very careful email or letter to INZ, setting out in very simple language the bases on which they are sure they have complied with the regulations, giving the link to each relevant one (such as 'question (whatever); the evidence that I have (x, y and z) is provided by a form from (wherever), which is a sheet of blue A4 paper'). This 'helps' the official to look at things the right way, and also draws attention to the fact that they themself are VERY aware of the rules and are firmly expecting to be processed correctly after this delay.

I am sorry to hear that you are nervous, but be assured that you are not alone. Anxiety is a very normal state for everyone who is in the hands of INZ, even when things are going absolutely smoothly.