Thread: SMC JSV expiring soon

Default SMC JSV expiring soon

Hi all,

My friend's is on SMC JSV in Auckland and it's expiring on April 5, 2016. He had completed 3 months of his current skilled job by March 15, 2016 and already submitted the relevant papers to INZ.

Since only 11 days remaining (6 working days) my friend communicated with the CO and got replied that to apply for another Work Visa till he gets the outcome. We are new to this process and please share your experience if anybody here gone through the same.

Thanks and regards,

I assume that he's put in the evidence to get his Residence visa.

INZ's reasoning behind telling him to get a work visa now is presumably to keep him legal when the SMC JSV runs out. When someone has a work visa application in, if their previous visa expires, INZ will automatically issue an interim visa, which they can't if someone has applied for Residence. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...erimvisaqa.htm He should notice, the interim visa will be like a visitor's visa (moving from an open work visa, the SMC JSV, to an employer specific work visa). But he shouldn't have to wait long.

Hello, I am in a similar situation where I am currently under an SMC JSV that will expire in 2 months. My fear is that even if I am to get a job next week, with the requirement that I have to be in the job for 3 months in order for INZ to process my residence application, can I apply for an extension to my current JSV/work permit? And if yes, how far ahead from my JSV expiration should I be applying for it (to give me an idea of the drop dead date for me to get a job offer)?

with the requirement that I have to be in the job for 3 months in order for INZ to process my residence application
    No, this is not correct. https://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30614.htm

As soon as you get the offer of a skilled job, you go to the nearest INZ office with your evidence (letter, contract with all the small print), and this will be sufficient to have you granted the Residence that is waiting for you. Your Residence visa will have a Section 49 (1) condition on it, that you must work in the same job mentioned for three months. When you can show evidence (pay slips, tax and financial records) that you have done this, and are still working at the same place, you go back to INZ, and they will give you a new Residence visa label with no conditions. After that, once you have your Residence free and clear, you are free to change jobs if you wish (subject to giving notice in line with your contract, of course).

To be clear, then, you need NOT wait to have been working for three months in order to get your deferred Residence granted.