Thread: A few questions about EoI

Default A few questions about EoI

Hi everyone. This forum has been a great find; tons of information here.

I'm currently filling out the Expression of Intent, and I have a few questions about the education qualifications:

1. The dates for beginning of study, end of study, and granting of degree are specified down to the day. How crucial is it that the information is exact? My undergrad days were twenty years ago - I'm not sure it's going to be possible to find out the exact days of these events.
    2. The University that I attended for my undergraduate studies (in the USA) is on the list of those that are Exempt from Assessment. However, the degrees that are exempt are 'Bachelor of Arts' and 'Bachelor of Science'. I did a double major, and as a result, I have both, but my degree says "Bachelor of Arts and Science" on it. Will that need to be assessed? How strict are they with the 'exact' nature of the wording?
    3. I have no idea what my student ID number was. Is that an important piece of information?

Thanks so much for any help you can provide!

1 and 3. You will probably find that if you contact your university, they will be able to provide you with this information. It is amazing what they have in their records. When I wanted to do a higher degree in middle age, the second university wanted information about my previous studies, and the first university pulled up everything about what I'd done 25 years before.

2. When you look at the INZ list of qualifications exempt from assessment, you have to find the exact name of your qualification listed alongside the name of the awarding institution, and the dates in the last column have to cover the time you graduated, for your qualification to be exempt. From what you have said, yes, your qualification will need to be assessed.

I was afraid of that. Thanks very much for the response!

Firstly, tick the box "show mandatory information only". You'l find that birth, tax, drivers licence and student ID numbers, aren't actually required like a lot of other information.

I've always just put start and finish dates of qualification as start day (1st of month if not known) and end date of acadaemic year. if you have your transcript that may help, and also with date that degree awarded if not on the certificate.

I'm inclined to agree with J and M, that unless it is as stated on the LQEA than it will need to be assessed. Does it say Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science"? You might then be able to claim both are on the list?
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 29th March 2016 at 11:51 AM.

Ah, thanks for the advice on mandatory information. I'm going to have to get in contact with my university anyway though, so I'll probably just get my ID number then.

Is it required to get an assessment on a degree you do not plan on claiming points for? I also have a MS which is exempt from assessment. Since I'll be using that degree to claim points, is it still necessary to assess earlier degrees?

Quote Originally Posted by cs100sba View Post
    Ah, thanks for the advice on mandatory information. I'm going to have to get in contact with my university anyway though, so I'll probably just get my ID number then.

Is it required to get an assessment on a degree you do not plan on claiming points for? I also have a MS which is exempt from assessment. Since I'll be using that degree to claim points, is it still necessary to assess earlier degrees?
    No, if your MS is on the LQEA, then it doesn't need assessment.(nor your Bachelor, which doesn't need to be mentioned)

Also if you have a job offer and more than 100points (and the number of years work experience that ANZSCO says can substitute for a qualification) you don't need to worry about qualification at all.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 29th March 2016 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    No, if your MS is on the LQEA, then it doesn't need assessment.
    Just to be clear on this, I know my MS doesn't need assessment - but when you say 'it' did you mean the MS? Or the earlier bachelor's which I will not be using to claim points? I know I need to include information about the bachelor's, but I'm not sure I need to have it assessed. Sorry if my question wasn't clear.

Thank you so much for your knowledgable replies!

Don't mention the bachelor at all. List only the MS on the EOI, and just claim points (50) for that . remember that if you don't have a job offer, or more than 140 point your EOI will not be selected.

That was my first impulse, but the EoI says:

Please provide the details of the recognised qualification(s) for which you are claiming points. If claiming points for a postgraduate qualification, please also add details of your undergraduate qualifications.
    I didn't think I could leave out my undergraduate degree.

We do have over 140 points - when I ran through the pre-check we were on 155 points so I'm hopeful we'll be selected even without a job offer.

Quote Originally Posted by cs100sba View Post
    That was my first impulse, but the EoI says:

I didn't think I could leave out my undergraduate degree.

We do have over 140 points - when I ran through the pre-check we were on 155 points so I'm hopeful we'll be selected even without a job offer.
    I cant see anything in INZ instructions (not the EOI form), that's says you have to list it. The LQEA also doesn't require that the undergraduate US qualification be on the list or assessed, (unlike India).

Maybe best if you do list it, but the EOPI seems clear that you are claiming points for MS, not Bachelor