Thread: SMC application but the job is fixed term

Post SMC application but the job is fixed term

Hi,
    My apologies, I decided to ask my question in this thread too, as I though I might get some feedback from you guys in this thread.

Last year, I offered a job as a postdoctoral fellow for 1 year. Recently they extended my offer, and now I have a fixed term contract expired in May 2018 but the contract is still fixed term.

Has anybody applied for permanent residence under SMC with a fixed term contract? If I apply for permanent residence under SMC, how likely is it that I can be granted permanent residency?

Thanks.

Hi again folks,

Yesterday, I contaced immigration and they told me I am eligible for applying residency under Skilled migrant. I know a couple of people who have been granted residency under SMC as postdoctoral fellows. However, in some of the posts in this forum I noted that some applications were not successful for some fellows. It is confusing and I am in a pickle��. Any idea?

Thanks.

The difference between what happened to the other people with their jobs as Fellows being refused, and you being told by INZ that your job will qualify you, probably depends on the exact circumstances of the offer, and how well it matches up to the regulations. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/30549.htm In particular, regarding the fixed-term contract in your case, SM7.15 b ii sounds as if it applies.

Thanks JandM for the reply.