Thread: Waiting Residency Approval with ending working Holiday visa in 1 month

Question Waiting Residency Approval with ending working Holiday visa in 1 month

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I applied for Residency Under Skill Migrant Category in the beginning of February (Yahooo). We are still waiting for the answer but would like to know what to do know.Both of us are current on a Working Holiday Visa, which will finished the 5th of May 2016.

I checked quickly on Internet, as the principal applicant, I can get a Essential Skills Working Visa. But, what about my husband? He doesn't have a continuous job offer right now (working in Interim) or a special competence needed in New Zealand.

Should I apply for a working visa? What should I do for my husband?

Thanks everyone.

Have a great day/evening.

If you apply for the Essential Skills temporary work visa, you can at the same time sponsor your husband's application for a partner-sponsored temporary work visa http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm, which will match yours for length of time. That is an open visa, which will allow him to take any work, and doesn't require any skills, but you need to prove partnership very thoroughly. See old threads here https://www.google.co.uk/#q=site:enz...tnership+proof which contain discussion and examples of what you can use. You can submit your and his applications together, linked with a covering letter, and INZ will supply things you don't know in advance, like your visa number, as they become available.

Once you have lodged the applications for these temporary visas, INZ will automatically issue interim visas to cover you to stay in the country if your cases have not been finished by the time your old visas run out. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...erimvisaqa.htm (These aren't available for residence applications.) However, you would not be allowed to work on the interim visas, so in your place, I would apply for the work visas as soon as possible - the processing times are mostly under 25 days, according to INZ - so as to get the best chance of spending the minimum amount of time on the interim visas.

Hi Jan,

Thank you so much for your answer. I contacted my employer to make them aware of the changes and I told my partner for the partnership visa.

I also contacted immigration and they told me that I don't have case officer yet... Is it normal?

Have a great evening,

Yes, it's normal. How long it takes till your case gets allocated to a CO depends on how many applications have gone in to that branch just before yours, so the busier things have been, the longer the wait will be. Everything at INZ works by managed queues. When your ITA was received, it would join the end of the queue of other ITAs, according to the date order. Each Case Officer has a certain workload - a number of cases that are theirs to deal with. The newly arrived ITAs have to wait till one of the COs has finished with some of their cases, and can take on some more. When an ITA is eventually assigned to a CO, it will again join the back of THAT queue for the CO's attention, as s/he takes the top file, does what s/he can actively do, puts that file to the back, works everything s/he can on that case, goes to the next, and so on.