Thread: SMC Visa and EOI points - no job offer

Question SMC Visa and EOI points - no job offer

Hi all, I am hoping somebody can advise? Planning our move to NZ and just been advised not to apply for our EOI for SMC visa until we have a job offer. Current points are up to 135 and with a job offer could potentially go up another 80 points. The problem I have is engaging with NZ employers while offshore. I am in the IT industry and my husband is in construction. Seriously considering doing a visitor visa and try look for work while there on that. We reckon my husband will pick up work quicker than me but it is a risk. Also if we did that - could we then apply for a SMC as myself being the primary applicant with the degree and the job offer coming from my husband?
    Thanks and look forward to any suggestions

A couple of points:

Unless you have 140 points (without a job offer) you wont be selected.
    With a job offer you only require 100 points.

There is no advantage in claiming more points that you need to, to be selected.

A "look see decide" visit is always useful and will put you (both) in a better position with potential employers.

Whoever had the job offer would normally be the principal applicant.

Thanks for the reply ChrisMwn, I did not know you only require 100 points with a job offer. Yep I think my husband might do the "look see decide" visit. On that point, if he manages to get a job offer while on the visitor visa - can he then apply to change the visa?

yes he can. he'd be wise to then submit EOI, and on the basis that its then selected apply for an essential skills work visa without having to worry about a labour market test.

cheers for the info
    I definitely think this is the way forward for us