Thread: Resident visa 12-month variation of travel conditions

Default Resident visa 12-month variation of travel conditions

I got my resident visa in Dec 2012 and I activated it by entering NZ for a short period in Nov 2013.

It has got two year travel condition which expired in Nov 2015 (2 yrs from visa activation date).

I finally entered NZ in Aug 2015 and has been working full time since Sep, 2015.

Since my travel condition has expired I want to apply for 12-month variation of travel conditions.

My question is can I apply for 12 month variation of travel condition as I have completed 184 days this year or do I have to wait till Aug 2016 to apply for variation in travel condition?

If you are applying now, then you need to look at the two twelve month periods preceding the date of application (and its more than 2 years since your RV was activated.)

So consider the periods between April 2015 and April 2016, how many days were you in NZ? and between April 2014 and April 2015?

if you entered in August 2015, and applied today, you would have more than 184 days in the last 12 months.
    That would mean you meet the requirements in one 12 month period, but not both, so yes you should get a further 12 month residence visa.

If you are looking for a PRV, then, if you were to apply in February 2017, you would need to spend a further 4 months in NZ between now and February 2017.
    The calculation s done by looking at the date you lodge the (P)RV application and counting back 12 months, then another 12 months.

Principal applicants may be granted with travel conditions current for 12 months if:
    a.they meet the requirements set out in either RV3.5.1 or RV3.5.5 below; and
    b.their first day in New Zealand as a resident (see R5.66.5(b)) was at least 12 months before the current application for a variation of travel conditions was made; and
    c.they continue to meet any conditions previously imposed under section 49(1) or section 50 of the Immigration Act 2009;

unless RV3.1(d) applies
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 5th April 2016 at 12:51 PM.

hi there mayur1980

did u apply for variation of travel condition before PR. can u pl share ur experience. how much time it takes to get variation of travel condition?

Yes, I applied for VoTC and got it approved within few weeks. this was in june 2015, not sure how much time it will take now as offices have just opened after holidays. I submitted my application in Wellington branch.

Thanks buddy

so the extension is from the date you apply or from the date you complete your first 24 months.

from the date new label is stamped

Thanks a lot. Appreciate your quick response.