Thread: no relevancy between education and work experience - education points?

Default no relevancy between education and work experience - education points?

Dear forum members,

I searched this forum for an answer to my question but didn't get a satisfactory one yet. Hoping I'd get it on this thread.

Background:
    I have completed Bachelor of Technology (Mechanical Engineering) and Master of Engineering (Engineering Design) but have been working as an IT professional (as been the case with lot of Indian IT folks) for the past 10 years.

Question: DO I stand a chance to claim points for my Masters education?

Anyone will get the basic 60 points for their master's, if that is their highest level qualification, whatever subject it is in, as long as it is EITHER on the INZ list of qualifications exempt from assessment OR has been assessed by NZQA as being at Level 9 or 10.

If your qualifications aren't related to your career, though, you won't be able to get any bonus points for them.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Anyone will get the basic 60 points for their master's, if that is their highest level qualification, whatever subject it is in, as long as it is EITHER on the INZ list of qualifications exempt from assessment OR has been assessed by NZQA as being at Level 9 or 10.

If your qualifications aren't related to your career, though, you won't be able to get any bonus points for them.
    Thank you JandM.. would you mind helping me the calculation of my points? Im little confused on what to choose on the point calculator and what not.

Education: Masters (Mechanical Engineering)
    Experience: 10 years (Information Technology, software engineer)
    IELTS: 7.5 overall
    Spouse education: Masters (Microbiology)
    Spouse IELTS: overall 7
    No family in New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by ldrbjp View Post
    Thank you JandM.. would you mind helping me the calculation of my points? Im little confused on what to choose on the point calculator and what not.

Education: Masters (Mechanical Engineering)
    Experience: 10 years (Information Technology, software engineer)
    IELTS: 7.5 overall
    Spouse education: Masters (Microbiology)
    Spouse IELTS: overall 7
    No family in New Zealand
    Hi,
    You can create an EOI yourself and fill in the details. It will calculate the points for you. Below is the summary of my points.
    Age - 29 years - 30 points
    Qualification - Master of Science (Smart product design) equivalent of Level 8 NZQA - 50 points
    LTSSL Qualification - 10 points (Need letter from IPENZ)
    Work experience - 6 years mechanical engineer - 20 points
    LTSSL work experience - 15 points (Same letter from IPENZ)
    Partner's qualification - 20 points (Got IQA from NZQA)

For your case, you will get 25 points for age, 50 points of qualification, 20 or 25 points for work experience, 20 points max for partner qualification. I am not sure if you will get LTSSL bonus points for qualificaiton and work experience because as far as I know, IPENZ assesses your work knowledge based on your education as well.

If you can get NZQA assessment for your education with LTSSL, then you can claim that bonus points, but for work experience I am not too sure.
    Any other indian folks with similar experience could help you.

Aravind

Hi ldrbjp,

You are unlikely to get bonus points since your education and work experience is not matching. Also IPENZ letter needs related work experience to get positive assessment.

Either the EOI form or the points checker can be misleading. I recommend looking here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm for all the rules on what is needed for all the points. SM6 has a list of points available under different headings, and the other sections tell you EXACTLY the requirements for claiming each set.

As vitajaj says, there are going to be factors against your claiming in some sections, but the detailed rules will help you understand.

My guess from what you have said so far is as follows.
    Education: Masters (Mechanical Engineering) - 60, if the IQA recognizes it as Level 9 or 10, or 50 if 7 or 8.
    Experience: 10 years (Information Technology, software engineer) - this may not get you any points because of the work/qualification mismatch, see SM11.
    IELTS: 7.5 overall - no points available for this, as it's a gateway requirement.
    Spouse education: Masters (Microbiology) - 20 (will need IQA).
    Spouse IELTS: overall 7 - no points (see above).
    No family in New Zealand - no points.

As things stand, you can only count on a maximum of 105 points. To have an EOI selected with no job offer, 140 points are necessary. If you can get the offer of a skilled job in NZ, your EOI will be selected with only 100 points minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Either the EOI form or the points checker can be misleading. I recommend looking here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/6954.htm for all the rules on what is needed for all the points. SM6 has a list of points available under different headings, and the other sections tell you EXACTLY the requirements for claiming each set.

As vitajaj says, there are going to be factors against your claiming in some sections, but the detailed rules will help you understand.

My guess from what you have said so far is as follows.
    Education: Masters (Mechanical Engineering) - 60, if the IQA recognizes it as Level 9 or 10, or 50 if 7 or 8.
    Experience: 10 years (Information Technology, software engineer) - this may not get you any points because of the work/qualification mismatch, see SM11.
    IELTS: 7.5 overall - no points available for this, as it's a gateway requirement.
    Spouse education: Masters (Microbiology) - 20 (will need IQA).
    Spouse IELTS: overall 7 - no points (see above).
    No family in New Zealand - no points.

As things stand, you can only count on a maximum of 105 points. To have an EOI selected with no job offer, 140 points are necessary. If you can get the offer of a skilled job in NZ, your EOI will be selected with only 100 points minimum.
    Thanks a bunch for the prompt response sir! Looks like I do not have much hope over here but I'm just curious on what my fellow Indians here have to offer. I'm pretty sure this is a common scenario (whatever you study you end up in ICT) among a lot of Indians and we generally find a way through

Maybe not a lot of hope from over there, but many people on the forum have made a recce trip to NZ and managed to land a job offer when there in person. Good luck.