Thread: Emergency leaving country during SMC processing - passports?

Question Emergency leaving country during SMC processing - passports?

Hi all,

My Dad passed away very suddenly from a severe stroke on Monday 4th, and me and my partner had to fly out to the UK in the evening.
    At that point, our passports were with INZ for SMC processing, but since we only sent in paperwork on the 21st of March luckily the passports were still in Wellington.

The guy who gave them to us just made us sign, but he didn't mention what will happen with processing.

So, my question is whether this means they will freeze processing, or whether they will carry on as normal since it's only the passports they're missing?

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks

No problem. Your passports have been sent in and seen, so INZ don't need them now till the end of processing when the visa labels go in. Processing should continue as normal.

thanks, JandM! that's good news at least.

I answered that from my phone, so said the minimum at the time.

Another point, IF when your case gets farther along, the CO finds they need to see your passports again (if maybe the official in Wellington hadn't copied them, or ticked them off as seen), s/he will just ask - it will be in the record that they had been sent and then reclaimed in the family emergency, so it won't be held against you.

I also wanted to send my sympathy for your loss.

Don't forget too that for initial SMC lodgement you can submit certified copy of passports. If originals are required INZ will ask for them, but not normall till visa label issue time