Thread: Can I live in NZ? SMC with partner

Question Can I live in NZ? SMC with partner

Hello there, I'm hoping someone can advise.

I'm already in NZ on my visitor visa to visit my boyfriend. When I applied for this visa in Thailand, I mentioned that I'm going to visit & travel with him and provided a few proof of partnership. I got a 1-year visa (not limited), but it expires 3 months after each arrival.
    He (UK citizen) holds a working holiday visa, is currently working in NZ and going to apply for SMC. However, he can't include me as a partner in the application because we haven't been living together for 12 months.

If I fly back to Thailand in July before my current visa expires, then we'll have lived together for 3 months and won't meet 12 months living together because he is still in NZ.

We're thinking about me getting a WHV. To do this, I have to apply online (and the quota for Thailand is only 100 spots) and then fly back to obtain my paper in person in my home country in June. I can use this visa to live in NZ with him for a year, so he can include me on his SMC.

Or I get a student visa. But international fees for a 1-year course would be expensive :/ And tbh, I'm not sure about any of these options because my intention can be determined that I'm not a bona fide applicant

I'm not sure what to do in this situation as we don't want to live apart

Advice appreciated.
    Thank you very much in advance!

How long have you lived together for, as of now? You could apply to extend you visitor visa to allow for a stay beyond 3 months. It may also be possible to add you to your partners residence application, at any time up until a decision is made on that application. If he hasn't yet even started the process, that could be 12 months away.