Thread: Daycare for 2 year old

Default Daycare for 2 year old

Hi guys,

I am in the middle of preparing for my interview with Immig NZ next week and I was just wondering whether they would ask me questions on who will be taking care of my 2 year old when (and if ) we move to NZ.
    Regardless, it would still be a nice thing to think about in preparation of moving to NZ.

Parents with toddlers, Where do you guys normally send your toddlers of 2 year old in NZ? Is it a norm to send it to a preschool/daycare? How old do they start kinder?

Over here in my home country, my daughter has been taken care of by a nanny at home. She has not been to school yet. Just wondering what are the norms in NZ

Thanks!!

Hi,
    As my research for my case, in NZ, they do have ECC (early childhood center) where you can send your child to. You can google to find out more. In my case, Case officer did ask about this (as my younger son is going to be 4 years old) and if I understood about this system in NZ. You should be prepared . Good luck for the interview.

hi KandT!

thanks! So how long do the kids stay in the ECC? and how much do they roughly cost , do you know?
    is your boy still in the ECC now?
    :P

I'm still in my home country so I don't know really the cost, but I understand that it's quite a bun of money if you have to pay. Seems that toddler of 3+ years old can get 20 hours of ECE funded by the government.

Please refer to this link and/or you can search for "early childhoood education in New Zealand" to know more.

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/li...care-preschool

My CO also asked me if I understood/knew about healthcare system in NZ. New Zealand Now is a good source of information.

Quote Originally Posted by pCott83 View Post
    hi KandT!

thanks! So how long do the kids stay in the ECC? and how much do they roughly cost , do you know?
    is your boy still in the ECC now?
    :P

Mosr families send their kids to preschool around the age of 3 because they are entitled to 20 hrs free ECE which helps to pay off a lot of childcare fees and expenses. Very few would opt for full-day childcare centres before the child turns 3 because it is quite expensive. You can expect to pay anywhere between $60+ to nearly $100 per day depending on the type of childcare offered so for most families it isn't an option at all.

If you need a more affordable option, you can look to say hire an au pair or perhaps consider PORSE.

Quote Originally Posted by KandT View Post
    I'm still in my home country so I don't know really the cost, but I understand that it's quite a bun of money if you have to pay. Seems that toddler of 3+ years old can get 20 hours of ECE funded by the government.

Please refer to this link and/or you can search for "early childhoood education in New Zealand" to know more.

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/li...care-preschool

My CO also asked me if I understood/knew about healthcare system in NZ. New Zealand Now is a good source of information.
    thanks for the tip Kandt

Quote Originally Posted by batgirl1001 View Post
    Mosr families send their kids to preschool around the age of 3 because they are entitled to 20 hrs free ECE which helps to pay off a lot of childcare fees and expenses. Very few would opt for full-day childcare centres before the child turns 3 because it is quite expensive. You can expect to pay anywhere between $60+ to nearly $100 per day depending on the type of childcare offered so for most families it isn't an option at all.

If you need a more affordable option, you can look to say hire an au pair or perhaps consider PORSE.
    hi there batgirl1001,

I noticed that 20 hours free ECE is only for children 3 years and above...thanks for the tip on Porse..didn't know it exists..lol

What I mean around the age of 3 is that although you are entitled to 20 hrs free ECE per week, it may not always be possible to enrol your child immediately into the childcare centre or kindergarten you want or nearest to you. There may be a waiting list.

For example, my daughter enrolled into kindergarten when she turned 4. She was at a playcentre with me until a place was made available for her at the kindergarten. Kindergartens are very affordable, so it is quite popular, we pay around $180 per term instead of $60 per week at a childcare centre (after 20 ECE deduction) for half-day. In our case, we waited about 6 months on a waiting list.

Thanks, This sounds like the most economical option.

goo d info thanks