Thread: Partnership visa not living together

Default Partnership visa not living together

Good evening.

This morning my partner was denied her work visa under partnership based on that we don't live together.
    I know that basically the whole entire partnership thing hinges on that we live together.

The main reason is that by her mother's request and culture reasons they don't want us to live together until we are married and have our own house together,
    Her parents wrote a letter supporting this in our visa application this.
    We have been in a very close relationship for 3 years and the immigration officer agreed that he has no doubts on our relationship and commitment.
    My partner and I live quite literally 3 mins away from each other, I visit her pretty much every single day. we share commitments, finances, roles and pretty much everything else that a fully committed couple would do. Including overseas travel together, in fact we were arranging to go to Europe together later this year.
    I have been to her hometown and stayed with her family several times and on good accord with them.

I guess is that my question is; can there be special consideration to the strictness to living together as we are both following the wishes of her parents and culture.
    The immigration officer acknowledges that our relationship is genuine but just because we live 3 mins apart from each other we have no hope.

Her current work visa has expired and on an intern visa which the immigration officer will cancel next Wednesday.
    He has offered my partner a 1 month visitor's visa.

Please advise me if there can be special consideration on this
    Last edited by thfmlymn; 14th April 2016 at 09:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thfmlymn View Post
    Good evening.

This morning my partner was denied her work visa under partnership based on that we don't live together.
    I know that basically the whole entire partnership thing hinges on that we live together.

The main reason is that by her mother's request and culture reasons they don't want us to live together until we are married and have our own house together,
    Her parents wrote a letter supporting this in our visa application this.
    We have been in a very close relationship for 3 years and the immigration officer agreed that he has no doubts on our relationship and commitment.
    My partner and I live quite literally 3 mins away from each other, I visit her pretty much every single day. we share commitments, finances, roles and pretty much everything else that a fully committed couple would do. Including overseas travel together, in fact we were arranging to go to Europe together later this year.
    I have been to her hometown and stayed with her family several times and on good accord with them.

I guess is that my question is; can there be special consideration to the strictness to living together as we are both following the wishes of her parents and culture.
    The immigration officer acknowledges that our relationship is genuine but just because we live 3 mins apart from each other we have no hope.

Her current work visa has expired and on an intern visa which the immigration officer will cancel next Wednesday.
    He has offered my partner a 1 month visitor's visa.

Please advise me if there can be special consideration on this
    Sounds obvious, but perhaps the best solution if you are a fully committed couple is to get married and live together?

I'm sorry, but the INZ regulations are very strict, and no, they don't grant partner-sponsored visas except for couples who live together. I agree with girlwithanewf that probably marriage is the only way round this, if the families won't be happy with your living together without. (If you were to set up home together now, there's a chance that you might get another application considered seriously with the one month of your girlfriend's visitor's visa.)

what's important is that your partner remains lawfully in NZ while you make some decisions.

Im a little surprised that the interim visa has not cancelled now that a decision has been on your partnership application, but if the case officer has indicated he is waiting for a final response from you, and that a one month visitor visa is being offered, then you should take up that offer.

What visa was your partner on previously? Are there other options? Working Holiday Visa, essential skills visa, post study visa???

We're going to see Turner Hopkins on Monday to explore our options

Why don't you tell your parents you are planning to get married as soon as possible but need to start living together right away so you can both remain in the country? you need to make it clear to them that if you are not aloud to live together then there is no chance you will be granted the partnership visa. I know some cultures are very strict, my partner is also from a country with the same values, but we are now living together in NZ and not married, some of her parents friends are frowning upon it slightly, but her parents are happy because she is happy and this is the only way we can stay together in NZ. I would think your best option would be to get her a visitor visa, ask for longer than the one month offered, or take the one month offered and extend it, then move in together straight away and once you have done so after a few months apply for the partnership visa. I am assuming Turner Hopkins is a law firm? If so I am sure they will just tell you everything you have been told here and would not gain much, a Law firm would be good if you felt you were being treated unfairly, but in the situation INZ are playing by the rules and you and your partner need to live together for at least a few months to have any chance of getting a partnership based visa and having a lawyer will not change that as the living together requirement is actually immigration law.

Would your parents be more happy to see the partner you love have to leave the country or to see you go slightly against their culture and live with your partner with the intention of getting married?

Quote Originally Posted by thfmlymn View Post
    We're going to see Turner Hopkins on Monday to explore our options
    if you are seeing Aaron there, he has vast experience, and wont put you wrong. Hopefully he'll have a solution for you.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 18th April 2016 at 08:48 AM.