Thread: Buying Car From Dealer

Default Buying Car From Dealer

Hi All,

I am planning to buy used car from Dealer once I reached New Zealand. However, I have some questions :

1) Is the price differ from a place to a place - within Auckland, between Auckland / Hamilton / Wellington ?
    2) How long the process will take place if I want to buy cash?
    3) Are all dealers offer warranty? What are the warranty usually covered?
    4) I want to buy a station wagon, and place 3 baby booster at the back seat. Is it okay to do that in NZ?
    5) Any trusted dealers you guys have in mind?

Thank you in advanced!

Love to hear the feedback for those above questions too !

price are low in isolated area but not these cities.
    its just 20 min to buy car in cash if you know what you are buying.
    its on you if you want to pay for extended warranty, 80% dealers does not offer warranty.
    all modification can be done in new zealand. thousands of dealers in new zealand.

When you said isolated area, where could it be if I may ask? And in regards to modification, can the dealer do it, or I need to get mechanic to do it?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by vick321 View Post
    price are low in isolated area but not these cities.
    its just 20 min to buy car in cash if you know what you are buying.
    its on you if you want to pay for extended warranty, 80% dealers does not offer warranty.
    all modification can be done in new zealand. thousands of dealers in new zealand.

Here is the legal position about carrying children in vehicles in New Zealand. https://www.nzta.govt.nz/safety/vehi...n-new-zealand/

And notice that you can hire appropriate seats, etc., from Plunket, which can be good because you can swap them for the next size up as the child grows (or you can buy them from there if you prefer). https://www.plunket.org.nz/car-seat-law/ Plunket is a national organization for helping children and families, very reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by heiryz View Post
    1) Is the price differ from a place to a place - within Auckland, between Auckland / Hamilton / Wellington ?
    I think the bigger places like Auckland tend to be a bit cheaper because there are more cars on the market

2) How long the process will take place if I want to buy cash?
    Just a few minutes

3) Are all dealers offer warranty? What are the warranty usually covered?
    Not sure about this but if you do pay for a warranty READ THE SMALL PRINT. Car warranties often have seemingly innocent clauses that render them fairly useless; things like 'does not cover electrical faults' and 'maximum pay-out per claim is $xxx'

A warranty can be good for peace of mind but you would probably be better to pay for an independent pre-purchase inspection/report instead. These can be very detailed and well worth the money

4) I want to buy a station wagon, and place 3 baby booster at the back seat. Is it okay to do that in NZ?
    Yes

5) Any trusted dealers you guys have in mind?
    Trusted car dealer eh! Now you're asking :-)

Seriously, if you want trusted and warranty then an established main dealership is probably the way to go, at least they have a reputation to maintain.

Thank you very much JandM, new info on Plunket!

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Here is the legal position about carrying children in vehicles in New Zealand. https://www.nzta.govt.nz/safety/vehi...n-new-zealand/

And notice that you can hire appropriate seats, etc., from Plunket, which can be good because you can swap them for the next size up as the child grows (or you can buy them from there if you prefer). https://www.plunket.org.nz/car-seat-law/ Plunket is a national organization for helping children and families, very reliable.

Thank you mylesdw, yes I do agree on the small prints, almost not visible clause - must read the warranty coverage carefully. Btw, any recommendation on main dealership?

Quote Originally Posted by mylesdw View Post
    I think the bigger places like Auckland tend to be a bit cheaper because there are more cars on the market

Just a few minutes

Not sure about this but if you do pay for a warranty READ THE SMALL PRINT. Car warranties often have seemingly innocent clauses that render them fairly useless; things like 'does not cover electrical faults' and 'maximum pay-out per claim is $xxx'

A warranty can be good for peace of mind but you would probably be better to pay for an independent pre-purchase inspection/report instead. These can be very detailed and well worth the money

Yes

Trusted car dealer eh! Now you're asking :-)

Seriously, if you want trusted and warranty then an established main dealership is probably the way to go, at least they have a reputation to maintain.

I guess Toyota would be my first call, they do 'signature range' used cars that come with all sorts of checks and guarantees. I'm not a great fan of Hondas but many are; chap I drive with just bought a little Hyundai and that's nice wee car. You will, of course, pay more for this sort of thing but if you're looking for peace of mind...

There is also a carfair as Ellerslie - http://www.carfair.co.nz/

Recently involved in the purchased an ancient Toyota Corolla for a bargain price for a relative who's going a 'working holiday visa' stay in New Zealand for a year.

Most of the sellers are the current owners with a few 'wide-boys' who are easy to spot. Cars are arranged by price bands with the most expensive cars being parked on concrete while the cheaper 'bargain' cars being left to park on the grass.

As we both know nothing about cars we had the car that we were interested in checked out using an AA pre-purchase check (available on site if you're quick) and they identified a few minor faults (please! its a twenty plus year old car!). A few minutes talking to the owner revealed that it was decent motor that he and his father had owned for years and the reason for sale was genuine.

So, if your budget is tight, you want to avoid Trade-Me, you want to see the vehicle and also want a bargain then I couldn't fault the CarFair every Sunday morning.

The one thing you should know buying from a private seller is that you are not covered by any consumer act which means you buy at your own risk. Unless you know something about cars or can fix whatever the fault it, perhaps it is better to go with a dealer or main dealership. You can get a pre-purchase inspection for $150 from AA to ensure you are not buying a lemon. There is nothing wrong with the Ellerslie car fair, in fact, there are bargains to be had.