Thread: Paying someone in UK ?

Default Paying someone in UK ?

Hi all,
    I am hoping someone has had experience of this before.
    I have been offered an item I need from the UK which this person has a spare and he said all I have to pay is the postage. He has asked me to pay it in to his bank account. Now can I just transfer money from my NZ account to his UK account without getting it converted to pounds or can I transfer the dollars and his bank will convert it? Its only for $30 or 15gbp. Not much I know but I don't expect them to send to me for nothing ,as it is I am getting the item for free which is not available in NZ.

A bank to bank transfer across borders would be a telegraphic transfer and yes the funds will be converted into the currency it is deposited into unless the person has a foreign currency account. I won't recommend tt as cabling charges alone are around $20 to $30 in fees.

The only thing I can think of which involve minimal charges, is to use PAYPAL. PAYPAL allows you to pay anyone in any currency you like (fees and conversion rates) through their email, mobile or bank account. The onus is both of you must have PAYPAL account.

Otherwise I would suggest you put $30 into an envelope and trust the post to deliver.

How about paying that person using Marks and Spencer e-gift card? You can order the e-gift card online using Marks and Spencer web site and the gift card will be emailed to that person. Most British will likely shop at Marks and Spencer so I guess gift card should be welcomed as an alternative to cash?

Thank you for the replies. My Dad has saved the day and it never even crossed my mind. I told him about it this morning and he says " no problem I will pay from my account to his and you can pay me back when you come to the Uk in Sept". Now why didn't I think of that,problem solved