Thread: Visa Expiry Date Query

Default Visa Expiry Date Query

Hi,

Hoping someone can shed some light on the below for me please. We have received good news that our visas have been approved ( a student visa, temporary partnership work visa, and my sons visitors visa). I am studying a bachelors degree starting in July and is a 3 year course.
    Our visa's however are dated for one year only (expiry date July 2017, and expiry travel date July 2017).

Is this normal- and does it mean we all need to reapply every year for our visa's? I was under the impression we would just be granted a 3 year visa?
    Am waiting to hear back from my CO next week, but any help in the mean time would be greatly appreciated.

Looking here http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...allaboutvisas/, it seems that only some educational institutions get to tell INZ the length of the course and the student therefore gets a visa for the full thing.

it could also relate to how long your offer of a place was for, how long your fees were paid for, and/or expiry date of passport?

Thanks - the duration of the degree which is at Massey is 3 years and I have a new passport. I have paid full for the year, so it could be that then- so we will just have to read apply for each visa each year, i assume.

Hi finches, it's absolutely normal that you got the visa for a year. Not only you but most of all of us who comes for 2 years or 3years of study, all we have to do is pay the full fee of the first year and you will be issued a year student visa. And at the end of the year, you will again have to pay the fee of other year and have to extend your student visa (which is obvioualy easy and straightforward ) So there's nothing to worry about. I hope this helps. Please note my advise is just in the basis of my personal experience. Thanks and good day!

Thanks for your response. I am sure it will all be fine I was more worried about my wife and son who are on the temporary partnership and visitors visa's - but I am sure the Uni will assist with their applications next year when the time comes.