Thread: Free Health Care for resident upon arrival?

Default Free Health Care for resident upon arrival?

I just got my resident visa approved, would like to know am I entitle for the free health care in NZ or needed to be a Tax resident before able to enjoy the Free health care? Should I buy an insurance before arrival or after arrival?

I think I found the answer, http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...land-residents

Anyone with resident visa or Permanent Resident visa will entitle

You're right - you're entitled. (Be aware, you will be on the same basis as NZers, which is that not everything is actually FREE. For instance, there will be a charge for GP consultations and any medicines prescribed, but that will be quite a bit less than a foreigner would pay for the same visit and prescribed medication. It is referrals on from the GP that are free. And you will be entitled to the resident regime once you have registered, which make take a few weeks to go through.)

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You're right - you're entitled. (Be aware, you will be on the same basis as NZers, which is that not everything is actually FREE. For instance, there will be a charge for GP consultations and any medicines prescribed, but that will be quite a bit less than a foreigner would pay for the same visit and prescribed medication. It is referrals on from the GP that are free. And you will be entitled to the resident regime once you have registered, which make take a few weeks to go through.)
    Thanks JandM, do you know any links that show what type of medical treatments are free or chargeable? Just wanna make decision whether to buy an extra insurance on arrival.

This page https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/li...hcare-services and the links off it should tell you what you need to know.