Thread: Potential police certificate problems...

Default Potential police certificate problems...

Hi there,

My partner was recently in NZ on a limited visa which has given us the chance to live together long enough to be able to apply for a partnership based working visa, she has recently returned home as her limited visa required to apply for the partnership based working visa which was successful, now she will return to NZ and bring her birth certificate with her as I understand she will need the original and translation of that for her residency application?

The complicated thing is I have just learnt that she will need to provide a new police certificate for her residency application, but there is no Armenian embassy in NZ or even in Australia and her father will not be able to get one and send it to her as he will not have her birth certificate, we can get one emailed to us from her home country but is that ok if we get one emailed and print it out? or does it have to be original?

So to sum it up, questions are as follows:

1 - Does she really need to take another police certificate even though the one she has supplied with her partnership temporary visa will be less than one year old when she applies for residency?

2 - Do police certificates need to be original or if the embassy emails her one can she print it and supply that?

3 - On the new residence application form (updated April 2016) it says "Applicants under the partnership or dependant child categories only: If a police certificate is not attached to this application because it was previously submitted with a temporary visa application, provide details", then under that is says "The certificate must be less than 24 months old when this application is lodged". Then it asks for the type of application and date of application. So in reading that on the form it really does seem there is some sort of exception for partnership applications to be able to refer to previous police certificates used in temporary applications for the residence application as long as it is less than 24 months old?

police.jpg

sorry, you are right. See PM.
    Last edited by ChrisMwn; 22nd April 2016 at 09:38 AM.

I'm also in the process of applying for residence visa. When it comes to this kind of visa they want police cert less than 6months, it should be original because of fingerprint and translated if it's not in English.
    In my case I'm still waiting in my mail for 2more police cert.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy35 View Post
    I'm also in the process of applying for residence visa. When it comes to this kind of visa they want police cert less than 6months, it should be original because of fingerprint and translated if it's not in English.
    In my case I'm still waiting in my mail for 2more police cert.
    to clarify for all, here are the rules:

A5.10 Police certificates
    a.All police certificates must be less than six months old at the time an application is lodged, unless A5.10(d) applies or an appropriately delegated immigration officer, having regard to any instructions on the matter, has waived that requirement, in which case police certificates more than six months old may be accepted and used for determination purposes.

b.If police certificates become a year old from date of issue before a decision on an application is made (see R2.25), immigration officers may request further police certificates as a basis for determining an application.
    c.An immigration officer may also request further police certificates within the 12-month period if there is good reason to do so.
    d.If police certificates were submitted with a previous application:i.they can be accepted for any further application for a temporary entry class visa (other than a student visa under U4.10) made within 24 months of the date of issue of the police certificates; or

ii.they can be accepted for further student visa applications as either:◦a fee-paying foreign student (U4.10); or
    ◦a student enrolled in any Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme in any New Zealand university (see U3.35.20)

made within 36 months of the date of issue of the police certificates; or

iii.they can be accepted for any further temporary entry class visa application as a partner or dependant of a student enrolled any Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) programme in any New Zealand university made within 36 months of the date of issue of the police certificates; or
    iv.they can be accepted for a residence class visa application under the Partnership Category (F2) or the Dependent Child Category (F5) made within 24 months of the date of issue of the police certificates.

e.The applicant is responsible for meeting all the costs of obtaining a police certificate.
    f.Instructions on how to obtain police certificates from specific countries can be obtained from the INZ website at www.immigration.govt.nz/policecertificate.
    g.If an applicant requires a police certificate from a country that:i.does not issue police certificates to individuals; and
    ii.for which no instructions in respect of how to obtain a police certificate are available;
    iii.an immigration officer may proceed to assess the application without a police certificate and obtain any necessary clearances before a decision is made.

h.If a police certificate is not written in English, it must be accompanied by a translation (see A13.5).

I tried to tell them about iv.they can be accepted for a residence class visa application under the Partnership Category (F2) or the Dependent Child Category (F5) made within 24 months of the date of issue of the police certificates.

but they want it less than 6months so I must fall on A5.10 b and c.
    thank you for the info @ChrisMwn

Quote Originally Posted by Amy35 View Post
    I tried to tell them about iv.they can be accepted for a residence class visa application under the Partnership Category (F2) or the Dependent Child Category (F5) made within 24 months of the date of issue of the police certificates.

but they want it less than 6months so I must fall on A5.10 b and c.
    thank you for the info @ChrisMwn
    Have you questioned why they are asking for another one if it is less than 24 months old and you are applying under partnership?

@David12345 yes I did but they still prefer a police cert less than 6months

I applied for a partnership supported resident visa and did not include police checks because they were included with my partnership supported work visa. My lodgement failed; they required my partner's (NZ Citizen) police certificates from within 6 months (we lived together out of country before moving to NZ). They did not request updated police certificates from me (mine were included in my original work visa application). So, check if they need both you and your partner; or just you.

Under A18 on the partnership support form 1178 it says 6 months.
    The screen shot you posted is form 1000; which is for the applicants - not the supporting partner.

But, things may have changed. The versions of my forms were older than yours.
    Last edited by SteveTyler; 27th April 2016 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveTyler View Post
    I applied for a partnership supported resident visa and did not include police checks because they were included with my partnership supported work visa. My lodgement failed; they required my partner's (NZ Citizen) police certificates from within 6 months (we lived together out of country before moving to NZ). They did not request updated police certificates from me (mine were included in my original work visa application). So, check if they need both you and your partner; or just you.

Under A18 on the partnership support form 1178 it says 6 months.
    The screen shot you posted is form 1000; which is for the applicants - not the supporting partner.

But, things may have changed. The versions of my forms were older than yours.
    Thats interesting, I thought INZ could request the police certificate of a supporting partner internally, especially if he/she is a NZ citizen. Can anyone on here clarify if this is true and that supporting partner need to provide a police certificate with the residency application?

Quote Originally Posted by David12345 View Post
    Thats interesting, I thought INZ could request the police certificate of a supporting partner internally, especially if he/she is a NZ citizen. Can anyone on here clarify if this is true and that supporting partner need to provide a police certificate with the residency application?
    sorry if I wasn't clear. We did not meet in New Zealand. NZ needed police documents from Canada.