Thread: Beach houses

Default Beach houses

Someone told me today that alot of folks up in northland and north island generally on the coast own small beach houses nicknamed a "batch". Is he winding me up or is this true, and is it just a shed like tho ones here or something different? Just wondering thats all.

Also whilst talking beach talk, if i buy a trailer sailer (small yatch on a trailer) and want to launch it in the sea for the day/weekend, do i have to register or pay any fees etc?

Maybe posted this in the wrong section i know.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlosparky
    Also whilst talking beach talk, if i buy a trailer sailer (small yatch on a trailer) and want to launch it in the sea for the day/weekend, do i have to register or pay any fees etc?
    Charlosparky

No you dont have to register or pay any fees to launch your boat. We have a boat and we can use it on any lakes etc and not pay a penny!! (oops cent )

and

yes beach homes are called bach's some are like sheds but you can get some really nice sheds

oh by the way where abouts in Nottingham are your from? We have come from Nottingham.

Jules

Literary notes:

In the south of the SI bachs are called cribs.

The term bach apparently comes from the days of the early settlers when single men (who were referred to as bachelors) lived in very simple hovels. Over time this sort of property would be had as a weekend/holiday place but the term bach (as in a property just fit for a bachelor) was retained.

For the next couple of weeks, before I head off to join them over the festive season, I'm living on my own because OH and kids have already headed North to Singapore and thence to the UK for a holiday. Loads of people have referred to me 'baching it' for the next couple of weeks (and assume that I will be living on takeaways or fush and cheeps for the duration).

Glad to know it wasn't a wind up then

Jules we are at the Arnold end of Bestwood park. just before the Harvester pub (now sizzling steaks). Looking to get to Whangarei arond July 06 as an Electrician. We were told Rotorua smells but that was by a tourist so what would they know. Never had a boat before but gotts replace my caravanning with something!!! eyes:

My OH comes from Arnold (Church Street), we actually moved from Kirkby in Ashfield to NZ but we stayed with Steve's parents before we came out to NZ.

Rotorua does smell for the first couple of days but you soon get used to it, honestly

Good luck

Jules

Hi Charlo

If you want to look at some beach bach places try http://www.bachkit.co.nz

wouldn't mind one of those my self!

David..........

Hey, if we are reminiscing about Arnold I used to work for East Midlands Electricity at the top of Coppice Road.

We lived in East Bridgford for 12 years before we moved to New Zealand.

Richard i did my apprenticeship with emeb at wollaton in 85 and then at shepshed and leicester depots until i left in 95. The coppice road site is now an upmarket housing estate (with predictable street electrical names such as edison place etc )