Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help!,,

Default Help!,,

Hi, I'm a 69 yr old grandmother, living in the UK. MY granddaughter lives in Auckland, she is 26yrs old her mother left the UK with her when she was 8 yrs old, she's attended schools and college and currently is on a Uni course. Her mum has NEVER bothered to get residency for her. Her mum married a New Zealand chap around 13 yrs back, and she has a child born there, he's 14 yrs old.
    My granddaughter returned to the UK for one month visit at almost 14 yrs, we renewed hers and her mothers British passports and visas at that time.

Recently my granddaughter renewed her British passport in NZ as her boyfriend has booked a holiday in Melbourne , when she went to collect her travel docs, they said if you leave on this British passport you'll be deported on your re-entry, she was devastated. The holiday had to be cancelled, and her friends clubbed together and she saw an immigration lawyer (serious money) she was told her mother had to renew her own expired British passport, then apply for residency. Her mother is quite selfish and despite being given the money to get the relevant docs has not done so.
    My granddaughter has lived in NZ almost 18 years, she's desperate to resolve matters, my question is, can she do this without her mother getting these docs? As she really is holding my granddaughter over a barrel. My granddaughter ran away from her at age 17yrs, and family in the UK supported her along with loyal friends.
    I don't have the money now as I'm retired and desperately want to help her out of this dilemma. Her whole life is there. Can anyone help me?
    All replies will be gratefully received
    Last edited by Guvver; 25th April 2016 at 06:33 AM.

What visa is the mother on, and what visa is the granddaughter on?

a lot of confusion there maybe try to clarify how she can attend university and public schools without having residency . it would be extremly expensive . if she doesnt have residency and apparently no student visa she would be illegal and there is no way she would have been able to get into university without being on a proper visa .

I agree..., even if the school didn't asked to see a passport/ birth certificate, uni would have done.

Any particular reason by INZ why she will be deported on re-entry?

I think the only way she would be told she would be deported upon returning is if they saw that her visa was expired or about to expire or something like that, like they have seen she is here illegally and told her she would not be able to get back into NZ if she left and tried to re-enter. It is VERY surprising to hear she is going to uni and not a resident as that would be super expensive, and if her friends chipped in for her to see a lawyer its sounds as if though she does not have excess money to spare. Something doesn't add up here.

No things don't add up, she's been living there since she was 8 yrs old, she attended school and Otorhanga College, she then ran away from home at 17, to South Island and was accepted on a starter course at Dunedin uni, but lack of funds and support led her to leave, seek work. She left home as she did not like her step dad. She's got a social security number too, but her mother did not apply for residency, and apparently the ONLY way she can get residency is by her mum renewing her expired UK passport, and then applying for residency for my granddaughter , she's already on a 5 yr doctorate course at Uni, it's complex and her mothers extremely selfish, so maybe some lawyer on immigration might help help her pro-Bono, she gained a renewed UK passport in NZ, But no visas as she wasn't aware she was not a resident
    Last edited by Guvver; 26th April 2016 at 06:53 AM.

Still sounds very odd- if she is not a resident, she must have had consecutive student visa, but to get those, she would have had to pay huge amounts of international student fees, if the visa wasn't on the back of her mother's. What status does the mother have- she probably is a resident? Although you are talking of an expired British passport (the mother's, as I understood?), so she wouldn't have any valid papers, unless she became a citizen years ago?

Very odd...., I can't imagine that she is allowed to be enrolled at uni without a visa, a valid passport......

I just enrolled and you have to show certified copies of passport and resident visa and fill out what kind of visa I hold etc ... no possible way she is not a resident if she is studying a doctorate degree that means she must have studied for ages already and it would have cost a fortune literally if she was paying the international fees ( aprox. 30.000 a year ) and it doesent sound like her mother or your grand daughter have that kind of money so what I am thinking is maybe she is a resident but with expired travel conditions and they told her that if she leaves without extending travel conditions she might not be able to return to new zealand on a valid visa.

I am not sure your granddaughter has given you honest information, to be at uni here and not a resident is extremely expensive and whatever visa she was on at the age of 8 must have expired by now and she would have to have gotten further visas to remain legal here, either any visa she has had for NZ has expired (hence being told she would be deported upon returning to NZ if she left) or she already has residency and has expired travel conditions, and getting new travel conditions would not require her mother to do anything.

I suggest you talk to your granddaughter and refer her to this thread online, she can have a read and clear up any confusion, that way you will be able to get useful help from this forum, rather than just people making asumptions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast