Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imported partner turned violent

Default Imported partner turned violent

Hi All,

I sponsored my partner under the partnership category so he could live in NZ with me. After arriving here he became abusive toward me, physically, verbally, financially, sexually..... you name it he did it!! I didn't do anything about it at the time because I was afraid of him and he always made me feel bad if I tried to leave him saying he had given up everything to be here with me.
    About 1 year ago he got a residency. As time went by I became less and less able to deal with him. One night he was totally out of control and I called the police, they came they arrested and he went through the courts.... he re-offended with me before it was the last time for me and I left him for good.
    Initially I wanted to protect him, I still felt guilt, but now he is pleading not guilty in the courts he continues to harass me even though he is on bail conditions not to contact me. I am still terrified he will come here an harm me..... I am wondering if I were to tell immigration about what is going on if they would send him home, or is that not possible because he has residency now?
    I also think it would be best for him to be sent home as i believe he will re-offend with another woman when he moves on.

Any Info on this would be much appreciated, I do not want to go directly to immigration as I am worried they will start asking questions and he will find out I have told them and harm me before they can take action.... if they will take action at all....

INZ can't just send him out of the country unless and until he is convicted - a Residence visa is not revoked until an offence at a certain level of seriousness is proved.

But more importantly, you need to tell the police fully everything that is happening. Every further contact from him is another offence that can be added to his case. Also, they should have advice for you about protecting yourself. The police are probably aware that he is a resident. Get their advice on talking to INZ - they will probably have contacted INZ themselves.

Thank you so much for your reply I will discuss this with the police or my victims adviser as soon as possible. I just really need them not to let him know I told them anything more.... It is a shame nothing can be done sooner and I have to wait for the conviction.

I'm really sorry you are going through this. I do hope the police can refer you to places that will provide help and support, morally as well as practical, for you. Stay safe and look after yourself!

I just really need them not to let him know I told them anything more....
    I'm sure you will have told the police how you feel. But be sure that they are very used to the way people like him think. They wouldn't knowingly provoke him. And yes, ask for more advice about staying safe in the meantime.

Also, here's a website with contact details which may be able to help you. https://womensrefuge.org.nz/

JustWondering - sorry to hear of this, and I wish you the best.

The sad part is, whether this person remains in NZ or is deported, he could remain a danger to women.

I agree with what was said above, about giving full disclosure to the police. I feel uneasy that he ignores bail conditions, and I worry for you.

Based on my knowledge of these things, I would also really suggest that if/when you speak to the police do so with a lawyer. In my home country I know of groups who can help with legal support for women, perhaps if they are unfamiliar or unable to arrange this themselves, and I would hope this kind of thing goes on in NZ. Also, I don't know of NZ egs specifically, but all too often 'probable doubt' interferes with the truth and normal victims statements are picked apart by defense lawyers. The best way to do it for your own good is with the help of a lawyer.

Hi there, so sorry to hear about your situation,

If I were you I would be talking to the police about getting a restraining order placed on him, this way he is not aloud to come near you, if he does he will be breaching his bail and also breaching the restraining order (having two charges placed on him every time he comes to you instead of just one). Perhaps you could buy one of those little spy cams from ebay or something like that, its a camera that is hidden in a pen or something like that, or even just use your phone, film your confrontations with him and use an app which uploads the footage straight away, that way if he gets your phone and trys to delete it its to late.

I would contact immigration about the charges he is currently facing, they would most likely be reactive to people being convicted and there could be a que of people to be looked at, if you call them and let them know what is happening maybe who ever you talk to could jump straight to his file and have something done?

Quote Originally Posted by David12345 View Post
    Hi there, so sorry to hear about your situation,

If I were you I would be talking to the police about getting a restraining order placed on him, this way he is not aloud to come near you, if he does he will be breaching his bail and also breaching the restraining order (having two charges placed on him every time he comes to you instead of just one). Perhaps you could buy one of those little spy cams from ebay or something like that, its a camera that is hidden in a pen or something like that, or even just use your phone, film your confrontations with him and use an app which uploads the footage straight away, that way if he gets your phone and trys to delete it its to late.

I would contact immigration about the charges he is currently facing, they would most likely be reactive to people being convicted and there could be a que of people to be looked at, if you call them and let them know what is happening maybe who ever you talk to could jump straight to his file and have something done?

sounds very nice but very unrealistic thats not how the justice system works . filming someone without there consent or knowledge is also a criminal offence and will not stand in court . a case officer or someone working with INZ is not a judge and cant just revoke a visa. it will have to go through a legal system. I would also want to add everyone is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law . there are two sides to every story still wish the OP well and may you have better days ahead of you
    Last edited by ice; 26th April 2016 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ice View Post
    sounds very nice but very unrealistic thats not how the justice system works . filming someone without there consent or knowledge is also a criminal offence and will not stand in court . a case officer or someone working with INZ is not a judge and cant just revoke a visa. it will have to go through a legal system. I would also want to add everyone is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law . there are two sides to every story still wish the OP well and may you have better days ahead of you
    Filming someone at your place of residence or your own property (he has been going there to harass her) is perfectly legal and will stand as solid evidence in court.
    I never said a case officer would revoke a visa, but in contacting immigration and bringing up the issue with them they CAN serve him with a deport liability notice if he is convicted of a serious offense, there would be NO judge involved unless he decided to appeal the deportation.

sorry to hear of this, and I wish you the best. Take care

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast