Thread: Struggling to get the Job Offer

Default Struggling to get the Job Offer

Hi all, anybody else have difficulty engaging with employers in NZ. I need to get a job offer under the SMC to apply for EOI. No luck so far. I have an honours degree in Computer Systems Management and have 8+ years experience in the IT industry. My husband is in the construction industry with class 4 driving licence and he has no luck either. If anybody has any advice to offer would love to hear from you. Thanks

Have you considered making a recce trip? Meeting face to face can go a long way to having a good impression on NZ employers.

I had zero luck applying from South Africa. Came here on a visitor visa and started applying to all the jobs on trade me and seek within my field. Got a view interviews and eventually a job offer. Being in New Zealand will make it a lot easier.

Thanks for the tip. I am planning to do the same. Just waiting for my EWRB registration to be finalised. How log were you in NZ before you were invited for an interview?

Thanks all for the replies, I was originally scared of the recce trip incase it didn't work out - but the more I think about it - nothing to lose so I think this is what we will do, So I assume if we get job offers while on a visitor visa we can then change the visas while there?

Yes, you can apply for a work visa while in NZ, and the others to match it for partner and children if any.

This http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rd...20June2014.pdf may be helpful.

Thanks for that JandM, so without a job interview set up - we need to do a vacation/holiday on the arrival card. We are on the visitor waiver list but wondering if we will get enough time granted on the visa to job hunt. Am I correct in saying that the minimum is a 3 month stay on a visitor visa. Or would it be best to say honestly that we are there to look and see as we are thinking of moving over

http://glossary.immigration.govt.nz/...eCountries.htm The maximum on the visa-waiver is three months. You can apply for longer while you are in NZ, if you need to.

Whether you decide to apply in advance for a longer visa, or to go with the visa waiver option, you should still say "look, see and decide" for your reason for going.