Thread: 'special' work visas for partners of students + domestic status for dependent child

Default 'special' work visas for partners of students + domestic status for dependent child

Hi all

I've been reading through the gov's immigration website trying to get a clearer understanding of the various visa types and conditions that could apply to my wife and daughter.

I'm planning to study in NZ for a post-grad qualification in 2017, and the plan would also involve my wife and daughter accompanying me. I read that my wife could be granted a 'special work visa' as a partner of a student visa holder studying toward a postgraduate qualification (see http://www.immigration.govt.nz/opsmanual/42649.htm).

While this definitely seems possible and good (my wife could work part-time - good for her and helpful for our budget) what I'm not sure of is if there could be a knock-on benefit for our daughter? As I understand it, partners and dependant children normally can receive visitor visas to accompany a student visa holder, like me. Visitors are not allowed to work, but can study with certain restrictions and if they do are considered 'international' students. Children of work visa holders, on the other hand, I believe do get 'domestic' status and the resulting lower fees. Basically, I'm wondering if we could find ourselves in the nice situation where my wife could work under a 'special work visa' and my daughter could attend some NZ pre-school as a 'domestic' status student. It is unlikely we would be able to afford full international fees for our daughter, if domestic fees are not possible.

By the way, while my question doesn't relate to the forum topic of 'immigration', that is actually our long-term plan with the first step being the gaining a NZ qualification. The easier things go along the way the more likely the 'plan' will be a success, too.

Just wondering if anyone knows about this - 'special work visas' and how they affect the status of accompanying children? Thanks for any help.

... By the way, the definition of a domestic student is: 'A person who holds a student visa and who is the dependent child of a person who is the holder of a work visa until the end of the year in which the work visa expires' (from https://gazette.govt.nz/notice/id/2013-go545)

So the question is, if an accompanying partner is granted a 'special' work visa, does affect the status of a dependent child (provided that child has a student visa, not a visitor's visa)? I'm guessing the answer will be no, but still good to hope.

You don't need to get into the realm of special visas.

For your wife, dependent on YOUR visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...milystream.htm
    For your daughter, dependent on YOUR WIFE's visa. http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...iningmyfamily/

You can send everything in together, linking their cases to yours with a covering letter. It will all be worked as once case, and INZ will supply what you don't know to begin with, like the visa numbers, as they become available.

Thanks, JandM

Yes, it seems probable that my wife could get a work visa - your link mentions the 'family stream' and it's a more readable version of the opsmanual content I was looking at, which describes the 'special work visa' which I quoted.

I'm reading more into it. The info so far isn't clear on what my daughter's status might be.

Incidentally, would telephoning INZ be useful? I wanted to yesterday, but turned out it was a holiday. Good to do as much research first before a phone call, though.
    Last edited by Asteger; 26th April 2016 at 06:00 AM.

I assure you, many before you on the forum have followed the procedure mentioned.

If your daughter is granted a student visa, she's a domestic student.

What is it you still feel unsure about?

If you phone INZ, you will get their human FAQ telephone answerers, who use a database holding the same information already given on the website, and in the operational manual. There isn't anything extra to be had.

I can only speak of our own experience, and this is about 10 years ago (the work visa option for partners of postgraduate students had just been introduced then)- our children had student visa based on my open work visa (based on my husbands student- visa for a post graduate course ) and were considered domestic students from that point onwards.

Quote Originally Posted by newarrival View Post
    I can only speak of our own experience, and this is about 10 years ago (the work visa option for partners of postgraduate students had just been introduced then)- our children had student visa based on my open work visa (based on my husbands student- visa for a post graduate course ) and were considered domestic students from that point onwards.
    Sounds good! and thanks, Renate

Do you recall if your children's 'domestic' student status also extended to healthcare? I know as a student I'd need insurance for myself, my wife would too as a visitor or on a 'special' work visa, but it would save a bit if my daughter didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    I assure you, many before you on the forum have followed the procedure mentioned. If your daughter is granted a student visa, she's a domestic student. What is it you still feel unsure about?

If you phone INZ, you will get their human FAQ telephone answerers, who use a database holding the same information already given on the website, and in the operational manual. There isn't anything extra to be had.
    Thanks again, J&M.

Unsure? I've just been trying to read through the various gov info to figure out what clearly applies to us and how criteria would be applied.

Phoning INZ - Thanks, just as I imagined I will probably try anyway, because I like to check and re-check.

Thinking of this stuff all the time, and so there are always new questions that pop up.

Your daughter won't be entitled to use the NZ Health Service unless/until one of you parents gets a work visa that will run for a minimum of 24 months, or residence. http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...-years-or-more

Experience shows that asking the INZ phone answerers the same question on different occasions ('to check and re-check') is liable to give you a range of different responses...

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    Your daughter won't be entitled to use the NZ Health Service unless/until one of you parents gets a work visa that will run for a minimum of 24 months, or residence. http://www.health.govt.nz/new-zealan...-years-or-more
    Agreed. We took out health insurance through the university , if I remember correctly, for the whole family of six. It was a very good price, so definitely worth doing it that way.

Thanks, Renate - I think I've seen about $500/person for a year. I'm not used to paying health insurance, but yes that's very reasonable.

J&M - great link on the health service. Another thing I was wondering about comes up here: you become eligible for health care if you get a work visa that entitles you to 'remain in New Zealand for a period of time which, together with the time that person has already been lawfully in New Zealand immediately prior to obtaining the visa, equals or exceeds two years'.

My studies will run through all of 2017 and so as I understand it I'd be given a student visa for all of that year, expiring on 31 March of the following year. Let's say that in January of 2018 then, with my studies completed, I applied for and received a 'post-study work visa' (in lieu of a work visa through a real job offer) and the post-study visa ran for 12 months, it'd then at least equal the 2-year total duration called for and it seems then that I and my dependents would be eligible for health care from that point on, until the work visa ended at least. As also stated, 'Note: Time spent lawfully in New Zealand immediately prior to the current work visa/permit counts towards the two years (ie. on a visitor or student visa/permit or another work visa/permit).' Wondering if this was also your experience, Renate?