Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chef Or Cook Work Visa options

Default Chef Or Cook Work Visa options

Hello everybody. I need all the help you guys can provide please.

1. Studying In Christchurch Chef Training Level 4.
    2. Working In a Pub I am the sole Incharge of their Kitchen. I order food,stock take,Cooking and planning menus.
    3. I have been in the country for about 6 years and I studied before In Auckland a Level 7 Course.
    4. I will have exactly one month to lodge my work visa application once my study finishes.
    5. I have worked In NZ for about 4 years but that experience does not match with my current job profile.

Now my question to all you lovely people is what shall I apply as a Chef or a Cook ?
    If We go to skills shortage list checker page and type in Cook one of the options that show up are Tavern Cook which is under the list of skilled occupations but the only visa option it has is the Skilled Migrant Category. I looked up Into that and it says that your job should be registered or something like that to apply in skilled category

And secondly if we search Chef in that list it shows up both in skilled and long term skill shortage list.
    Also if you guys can provide some info on the Canterbury Hub stuff. Do we have to do this in my case ?

Can I apply for a work Visa and then apply for residency from my current work if yes what work visa option shall I take please.

Thanks

The job title is not what matters (since an employer can call a job anything he wants, and that won't necessarily match up to anything in the outside world). For visa purposes, a job's responsibilities have to match with a job description under ANZSCO, which, for Chef, is here. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....OUP+3513+Chefs

Be aware, a lot of people have been refused Residence under the 'Chef' heading, because they did NOT have to do the majority of tasks mentioned there.

Thanks for your reply.
    That is the main question because My employer will give me the documents I will need,But I have to tell him what he needs to write down.

This is the page which details the job description of a cook

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....3?opendocument

and this one
    http://australia-migration.com.au/page/351411/887

The only problem with the Cook is it only gives me the option to apply in a skilled migrant Category and to be honest I do not know how it works.

Any Ideas please
    Last edited by Harry_5598; 26th April 2016 at 09:33 PM.

The second link is no use to you because you are in New Zealand, and that is about Australian law (different country, with entirely separate laws).

If you want to stay in NZ for the long term you need to get a Residence visa, eventually if not now.

If you look at what ANZSCO says about 'Chef', how much of that description do you actually do in your present job?

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    The second link is no use to you because you are in New Zealand, and that is about Australian law (different country, with entirely separate laws).

If you want to stay in NZ for the long term you need to get a Residence visa, eventually if not now.

If you look at what ANZSCO says about 'Chef', how much of that description do you actually do in your present job?
    From the Chef page these are the duties I am currently doing.

planning menus, and ordering food supplies
    discussing food preparation issues with Managers and waiting staff
    demonstrating techniques and advising on cooking procedures
    preparing and cooking food
    may freeze and preserve foods

From Cooks Page this is what I am doing now.

examining foodstuffs to ensure quality
    regulating temperatures of ovens, grills and other cooking equipment
    preparing and cooking food
    seasoning food during cooking
    portioning food, placing it on plates, and adding gravies, sauces and garnishes
    storing food in temperature controlled facilities
    preparing food to meet special dietary requirements
    may plan menus and estimate food requirements

One thing we have to consider is I am going to apply my work visa after only one year of my study that is I will be having a level 4 qualification.
    if we have a look at Chefs requirements it says NZ Register Diploma needed and for Cook its NZ Register Level 4 qualification.
    we have to consider this also.
    Is there something wrong with applying as a Cook ?

what's your end game? To get residence? If so you need a job offer as either a chef or a cook , as described in ANZSCO. There needs to be "substanstial match" to those duties described there.
    You will also to have either the qualification, or the number of years relevant work experience that ANZSCO says you can substitute for a qualification.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    what's your end game? To get residence? If so you need a job offer as either a chef or a cook , as described in ANZSCO. There needs to be "substanstial match" to those duties described there.
    You will also to have either the qualification, or the number of years relevant work experience that ANZSCO says you can substitute for a qualification.
    The end game is Residence. Cook is under skilled occupations and I am doing level 4 chef training which finishes in two months. I do not have Relevant work experience but I have work experience which I gained in New Zealand.
    If I calculate my points for EOI they come out to 145 But I am not sure If I can lodge an EOI on student visa. The reason I want to stick with Cook is because I do not have much experience to be a chef and on top of that to be a chef you need a diploma.
    If you can read the points I mentioned in my starting post please.
    I have the Job offer and I am thinking of filling in the EOI.
    Thanks

So are you claiming points for your qualification (as a chef?) You can't claim points for a qualification that you have yet to complete. If you are claiming points for a level 4 qualification, you don't need to worry about work experience. With age, qualification and job offer outside of Auckland, you would have more than 100.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    So are you claiming points for your qualification (as a chef?) You can't claim points for a qualification that you have yet to complete. If you are claiming points for a level 4 qualification, you don't need to worry about work experience. With age, qualification and job offer outside of Auckland, you would have more than 100.
    I will complete my studies in a month but then again it will only give me a month to sort out my visa after that. I am sure INZ does not process the applications that fast. I also have a Level 7 qualification which I completed in Auckland and again I am not sure If I can score points on that. If instead of using my level 4 qualification for points I use level 7 it gives me 155 points. To Lodge in the EOI they say I do not need any documents I might be wrong if that is true I can lodge in my EOI with my level 7 qualification which is a Business Diploma and then by the time INZ will get back to me I would have completed my Level 4 qualification.

but is your level 7 qualification relevant to your job offer as a cook? You cant use it if its not. You only need to lodge your work visa application before your current visa expires, not have it approved.
    No documents are required for your EOI.
    AS a graduate with a qualification for which you can claim points for your EOI, you are eligible for a post study job search or work visa if you meet the requirements below:

WD1.10 Qualification requirements
    a.Applicants must have successfully completed a New Zealand qualification(s) that would qualify for points under the Skilled Migrant Category (see SM14) and meet one of the requirements set out in (b) below.
    b.Applicants must have completed: i.a programme of study that results in a qualification at level seven or above on the New Zealand Qualifications Framework (NZQF) that they have studied for at least 30 weeks in New Zealand; or
    ii.a programme of study that results in at least one qualification at levels four to six on the NZQF that they have studied for at least 60 weeks in New Zealand; or
    iii.two programmes of study that result in at least two qualifications (at least one for each programme) at levels four to six on the NZQF provided each programme of study has involved at least 30 weeks study in New Zealand (60 weeks in total) and the final qualification is at a higher level.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast