Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Matching my job offer to ANZSCO

Default Matching my job offer to ANZSCO

Hi all,

I've submitted an EOI under the skilled migrant category and it's likely to be selected in the pool draw tomorrow. However, I'm not sure whether INZ will be convinced that my job offer matches the ANZSCO description.

This is what I wrote in my online EOI:

I believe that my job responsibilities align most closely with those of a Statistician (ANZSCO code 224113).
    In simplest terms, my job is to develop, analyze and improve my employer's statistical models. For the rest of this section, I will use the term "model" to denote statistical models.

My key job duties include:
    1. Data investigation & Analysis Research data assets to understand trends, anomalies, patterns and opportunities for commercial exploitation of data.
    2. Model development & enhancement Design and develop new models or enhance existing models while ensuring robust and predictive output.
    3. Reporting Development and management of reports to clearly show the impact and effectiveness of models to internal and external stakeholders.
    4. Support the business with ad hoc statistical analysis where advanced data analysis, investigation, integration and evaluation are required.

These are all mentioned in my offer letter, and I believe they substantially match the occupational tasks of a Statistician listed in the below link:
    http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....5?opendocument
    I'm wondering whether this is enough to convince INZ that my job offer "substantially matches" the one listed in ANZSCO.

I have a small window of time (i.e until tomorrow) before my EOI gets selected and I would greatly appreciate any advice / suggestion to improve my application.

Thank you so much for your time.

You are putting the onus on INZ to find equivalence between your responsibilites and ANZSCO. Remember, they don't have nearly as much incentive to do this as you do.

I think you might make life easier for an INZ CO to agree that you match if you start from the ANZSCO job description. I mean, if you take each point there, such as "defining, analysing and solving complex financial and business problems relating to areas such as insurance premiums, annuities, superannuation funds, pensions and dividends", and present some aspect of your responsibilities which shows that you do do something of that kind in your employment.

Quote Originally Posted by JandM View Post
    You are putting the onus on INZ to find equivalence between your responsibilites and ANZSCO. Remember, they don't have nearly as much incentive to do this as you do.

I think you might make life easier for an INZ CO to agree that you match if you start from the ANZSCO job description. I mean, if you take each point there, such as "defining, analysing and solving complex financial and business problems relating to areas such as insurance premiums, annuities, superannuation funds, pensions and dividends", and present some aspect of your responsibilities which shows that you do do something of that kind in your employment.
    Thank you for your suggestion. I have made substantial edits to my application based on what you've said and I think I've made a convincing case now.

On a completely unrelated topic: Does a speeding infringement count as a conviction, and do I have to mention it in the character section?

Quoting here from ChrisMwn, an LIA who posts on our threads: "technically you don't need to declare the driving matters, since they are "infringements", not "offences" However being prudent you should simply write on the form, "paid traffic infringements (speeding ) only.""

Thank you, yes I agree that it's prudent to declare that in my application.

I will let you know how this goes.

My EOI was selected in the pool draw and I'm currently waiting for INZ to complete their preliminary verification.

Recall that I'm trying to match my job with ANZSCO's Statistician (224113). (Link - http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@....5?opendocument)

ANZSCO currently provides a common list of tasks for three professions (UNIT GROUP 2241: ACTUARIES, MATHEMATICIANS AND STATISTICIANS), and I'm only able to match the bolded tasks in this list:

- defining, analysing and solving complex financial and business problems relating to areas such as insurance premiums, annuities, superannuation funds, pensions and dividends
    - examining financial projections for general insurance companies, finance companies, government and other organisations
    - designing new types of policies, assessing risks and analysing investments in life insurance, superannuation funds, health insurance, friendly societies, financial markets and other areas
    - formulating mathematical models to simulate processes
    - applying models to experimental observations, and adjusting and recasting the models

- using numerical analysis methods to develop algorithms and perform computations
    - liaising with management and clients to determine the subject or area to be surveyed or examined
    - specifying the data to be collected, and the methodology to be used in collection and analysis
    - evaluating and describing the reliability and utility of source information
    - analysing and interpreting data, and producing relevant statistics to describe and infer particular trends and patterns
    As you can see, that's only a 4/10 match. ANZSCO also provides an additional job description under STATISTICIAN (224113), and I'm able to match most of it with my current job:
    - Designs and applies statistical principles and techniques for collecting, organising and interpreting quantifiable data,
    - and uses statistical methodologies to produce statistical reports and analyses for government, commercial and other purposes.
    When I submitted my EOI a few days back, I fear I was looking at the situation with rose tinted glasses, believing that all of the above must be enough to prove to the INZ that my job offer is skilled (which seemed to me to be the ultimate goal). Now I'm not so sure about all this. I'm hoping for someone to look at the situation and assess my chances objectively. And if INZ comes back with a negative response, should I hire an immigration adviser / lawyer?

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by kishore5790; 1st May 2016 at 04:52 PM.

What you have done is probabaly enough to receive your ITA. Any changes to your ANZSCO code could be made at the time you submit your application. PM me once you've made your 5th post and ill see if I can assist.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMwn View Post
    What you have done is probabaly enough to receive your ITA. Any changes to your ANZSCO code could be made at the time you submit your application. PM me once you've made your 5th post and ill see if I can assist.
    Thanks for offering help - I'll PM you when I get a response back from INZ.

I received my ITA today, and I just sent you a PM.

Hey ChrisMwn, I'm unable to reply to your PM as you've exceeded your quota.

Could you please PM me your email address, as it's easier to share documents that way?

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast