Thread: Partnership Visa declined, PLEASE HELP!

Default Partnership Visa declined, PLEASE HELP!

So, my partner and I received a letter today stating that our application has been declined. The letter goes as follows:

"Based on the evidence provided with your application, we are satisfied that both
    you and your partner are living together however we are not satisfied that you
    are in a stable relationship which is likely to endure. We came to the conclusion
    based on the evidence provided.
    You claim to be living with your partner for over 12 months however you have
    not provided any factual evidence to support your relationship. You have not
    provided:
    o evidence of being financially interdependent such as
    evidence of shared income
    o joint bank accounts operated reasonably frequently over a
    reasonable time
    o joint assets
    o joint liabilities such as loans or credit to purchase real
    estate, cars, major home appliances
    o joint utilities accounts (electricity, gas, water, telephone)
    o mutually agreed financial arrangements. "

The reasons were: no evidence of joint income, or joint accounts. Which is essentially the same thing but listed as two separate points. We have never seen any reason to join income and I'm sure many other couples don't do this either. This woman also said that we don't have a joint utilities account: which we have clearly outlined several times that our utilities is included in the rent that we pay. She has ALSO been stupid enough to say that we have no shared assets, when we have also CLEARLY stated with PROOF that we own a car together, as well as a $3000 computer. If that's not joint assets then I don't know what is. And finally, as a final kick in the behind, she has said that we haven't showed any proof of a mutually agreed financial decision. We have literally printed out both sets of our bank statements since the beginning of time and HIGHLIGHTED where I have paid my partner rent money with the utilities bills included. HAS THIS WOMAN EVEN READ OUR APPLICATION. Sorry to computer rage, just fuming at the moment over the inherent lack of importance of our application. Every single point she has stated as a reason to decline our application, we can debunk!

We have decided to hire a lawyer as this silly immigration woman has already declined my partners work visa from last year. We took her straight to a lawyer who dismissed her as being ridiculous and sorted us out in a matter of days. Really losing faith in the whole system.

The only reason that hasn't been outlined as a reason to decline the application is that we have 11 years age difference between us. Would this be an unspoken reason that they could decline us on? They have said: "Your relationship appears to be of a boyfriend and girlfriend nature and does not meet the intent of the partnership instructions." How can they even judge this?

Another query we have is that the initial case officer who sent us a letter asking for more evidence was changed to this silly woman who declined us. Is that right? Can they do that?

We are BEGGING for help and at a wits end. Please, if anyone has anything that could aid us please let us know.

Thanks so much,
    Rhiannon
    Last edited by nocando; 27th April 2016 at 08:03 PM.

I am sorry, and I can understand your distress, but calling the case officer 'stupid' probably won't help anyone...

Just one point- I don't assume that INZ considers your payment of rent as 'mutually agreed financial decisions'. And before you get angry at me- I know that some of the requirements to proof a 'genuine and stable' partnership seem ridiculous , everyone has to go through that , no matter of how long you have been together/ married/ have children etc.
    That 'silly' woman is doing her job, and I could imagine that your attitude might make her inclined to look at your application a bit more closely :-).., she is human, after all.

Just my opinion.....

Its good that you have decided to get some professional advice.

What often happens here is the CO's work to a checklist, rather than looking at the intent of the policy.
    They cant see the "big picture" and if some of the suggested evidenced is missing they feel the relationship is not genuine.

Not every couple lives their lives in the same way , or conducts their affairs jointly.

A professional adviser should be able to get a reconsideration and to properly demonstrate that you are a genuine couple in a stable relationship.

As Chris Said, CO's have a check list of requirements for applicants to meet to be considered partners, even if they do believe personally that you are partners, if you do not meet enough of the requirements they still have to decline it.

Not everyone can meet all of the requirements of course, but it is important to meet as many as you can and provide evidence for it. If anyone could write any reason why there is certain evidence not included then anyone could lie about why they do not have certain types of evidence.

Professional help sounds good. Also, you might have to step back and take a deep breath before you deal with anyone in an official capacity. Calling people stupid, silly and ridiculous won't, as Renate has pointed out, endear you to anyone.

And here's another way to look at this. No, not all couples live the same way. Not all couples share a bank account. But you know that this is a requirement of INZ, and since you want something from them, so to speak, why don't you just do it? Granted, it was easier for as as we are a bi-national couple who met in an third country, so we always knew we would have to prove something somewhere, but we looked at what we would have to show one day and started setting this up long before we ever applied for any visas. That meant having a joint bank account where we might not have done this had we not considered that we'd have to prove that we are in a stable relationship one day.

I understand your frustration, and I am sorry to hear about your circumstances.

I believe that all applications go through second person check, so it maybe unfair to say the the IO is stupid as she may not be the only one who made the decision.

Quote Originally Posted by nocando View Post

" She has ALSO been stupid enough to say that we have no shared assets, when we have also CLEARLY stated with PROOF that we own a car together, as well as a $3000 computer. If that's not joint assets then I don't know what is."
    ... a house, a company, a share portfolio, perhaps even a boat could be considered a joint asset, but not durable consumption goods such as computers or cars. I'm not aware that you can actually register a car to more than one person? How would you actually prove joint ownership of a computer. Perhaps you could provide INZ not just with a joint bank account, but also with a car insurance policy where both you and your partner are named drivers.

When my wife and I applied for our NZ visas, we had been married for 15 years, had a child, house, two dogs and cat together, but still had to provide evidence that we were in a stable relationship - and no, our marriage certificate was not sufficient.

I can clearly see the CO's point of view. The first CO also asked for more proof, so it is not just her that felt that there were gaps in this application. None of the things mentioned in the first post comply with INZ's requirements to proof a stable relationship. So she has absolutely no choice other than declining the application.

Calling somebody stupid and silly, especially on an open forum, is also very unprofessional and outright rude.